Politics in College Ball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
"I do like hearing others’ POV as well. Helps me to understand why some things might be done the way they are."

I'm not hung up on stats. Our HS team uses GC as many of the other teams in our area. Ours just doesn't have them live during the contest. We are playing our rival so I was viewing our rivals GC feed during the game. Watching the game on the field and and GC was a whole different view. We had 3 errors. Legit errors dropped routine fly balls etc. Our opponent scored them as hits and not errors. When I checked our GC feed later that night our GC scorekeeper had them all as errors.

Our GC scorekeeper is a non parent who scores every game and has been doing book for years. Pretty accurate and not really any grips about how the game is scored.

no big deal, right? RIGHT! Who cares! Well except when you look at our opponent (and rival) they had 10 girls all hitting over .400. But they weren't they were getting credited with hits that should be ROE's. Shortly after this that school put their stats to private...

But come end of year and league selections.....one coach will claim Suzy hit .495 and it really won't be accurate. But our coach will have truer stats and our player hit a legit .405 for the season. In the league "voting" guess which one gets the nod....it is political and a bunch of nonsense. And then there is the horsetrading....I'll vote for your SS if you vote for my 1B....etc. Kids on their own teams know who the MVP's are....and for the most part they know how they stack up against their opponents. But kids do like the recognition of their hard work and accomplishments.

If you are talking 1st team, second team All League awards I would be surprised if they are done differently then they are done in SoCal. There is no voting. The higher a team finishes the more players they get to place on the All League team. 1st gets 4, 2nd gets 3 and so on. The main reason it is done like that is because everyone knows the stats are absolutely worthless.

They only thing voted on is Player Of The Year/League MVP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 22, 2011
This weekend HS team awards and all league teams are being decided. Sports Award ceremony the end of the week. Cautiously optimistic but prepared for my DD to be disappointed again.

Two seniors and a freshman won the team awards. 5 freshmen, 1 of the sophomores' good friends with freshman who won. DD voted for freshman on the award. Coach was definitely uncomfortable handing out the awards. He didn't want to give players a stat sheet to look at before voting. Players and three coaches voted, can't vote for a player for multiple awards.

DD is a hardworking glue type team player who puts team first. She is a lefty 1B who is the backup catcher, 3rd option at 3B and 3rd option at 2B. She lead in all offensive stats but steals (4th), RBIs (3rd behind two seniors), HR (2nd, behind senior), Doubles (tied for 3rd), OPS/SLG (2nd behind senior).

Interestingly team who came in 1st in league has already internally announced which of their players have made 1st, 2nd, 3rd all league teams. Official meeting to vote on all league teams is tomorrow night..

Jun 8, 2016
Okay, I am late to this game, so forgive my tardiness, but that choice of footwear.🤣
I went to the gym in the morning and didn't feel like wearing my sneakers all day but didn't want to take off my socks. If I don't teach nobody sees me all day and even if I do nobody cares what I look like ;)

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I went to the gym in the morning and didn't feel like wearing my sneakers all day but didn't want to take off my socks. If I don't teach nobody sees me all day and even if I do nobody cares what I look like ;)
Admittedly, I have no fashion sense. As a 50 year-old male with a tee-shirt drawer full of SpongeBob and Perry The Platypus shirts, even I know sandals and socks are a no-no. LOL

Jun 8, 2016
Admittedly, I have no fashion sense. As a 50 year-old male with a tee-shirt drawer full of SpongeBob and Perry The Platypus shirts, even I know sandals and socks are a no-no. LOL
Hmm..I wear that to DD's games all the time. No wonder she acts like she doesn't know me when she sees me..as a matter of fact DW does the same. Only ones that acknowledge me are my sons..good kids :p.

Good to know though, thanks.Will make sure to wear that to all public functions involving DD :ROFLMAO:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Hmm..I wear that to DD's games all the time. No wonder she acts like she doesn't know me when she sees me..as a matter of fact DW does the same. Only ones that acknowledge me are my sons..good kids :p.

Good to know though, thanks.Will make sure to wear that to all public functions involving DD :ROFLMAO:
I have a client appointment today, so I have to go in a little more professionally dressed than usual. I think I'll wear this as a tee-shirt under my dress shirt.

Attachments

• 20220518_091758.jpg
    20220518_091758.jpg
    615.5 KB · Views: 13

PDM

Jun 18, 2019
NJ
Well then you put too much stock in what other people think about your kid. It’s a sports award, not an unfair awarding of a kidney. Of course I doubt I will ever be in a situation where I have to put my money where my mouth is (continuing with your currency theme..)
Wasn't a player who posted...and yes I know everything isn't about money..I took a job in Academia.
Oh, the "poor me, I chose to sacrifice money to work in education". Cry me a river. I know a lot of educators who make damn good money, and many of them still seem to think they are oppressed. It's laughable. But back to the subject at hand, the parent was speaking for the player. I am sure that if the player didn't care we would not have seen this post.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom