Stats question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Knowing they are accurate, how much data do you use from Gamechanger? You can do down a rabbit hole with advanced stats, but can still get a good picture at the same time...I just always worry about over thinking too many stats, but don't want to live with too few guiding factors as the season unfolds. More of an opinion or a list of always go to, outside of the norm.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
Agree that Garbage In=Garbage Out.

Couple of thoughts…On offense, I would recommend looking at HHB, Quality At Bats (QABs), and probably OBP or OPS. Even though HHB is a subjective gauge by the scorekeeper, I generally find that those who are recorded as having the most HHB correspond to the best hitters on the team (or those that have the most potential to be). For me, it often tends to match up with what you see with your own eyes.

On pitching: I like looking at FIP (Fielding Independent Pitching), which gives you a sense for how the pitcher is doing overall without “punishing” her for potentially poor defensive play. I also like WHIP, which gives you a sense of how much base traffic there is each inning. Will look at S%, FPS%, BBs, Ks, and % of HHB. Apart from ERA, the pitching stats are harder for a scorekeeper to screw up as long as they paying attention because they don’t require any judgement (was it a ball or a strike?).

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
OBP and OPS, particularly the most recent. You can filter the results to a specific time frame. It will help find the hot hands and the slumps. The picture usually changes throughout the season.

Jun 11, 2013
I tend to look at the OBP, OPS, slugging on offense. The other stats I kind of use to verify what I'm seeing is right. If someone has a lot of ROE and is fast that tells me something that maybe they are causing some of these even is scorer is correct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802