Attacking other members through PMs is not allowed either

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Recently it has come to my attention that a member of this board has allgedly been attacking other members via private messages (PMs). Not only is that a pretty gutless tactic since the person being attacked doesn't have an opportunity to respond unless he/she is told about it, it is still a violation of the rules of this Forum.

Sure, it seems like a way to get around the Mods since we don't look at PMs. But speaking for myself, if I see our Forum being used for personal attacks by having such a message forwarded to me, I will deal with it in the same way I would if it was posted publicly.

What makes this particular incident even worse, in my eyes, is that the attacker didn't just go after the person he didn't like. He brought in that member's daughter as well. From what was reported to me, the attacker stated that the daughter wasn't very good, wouldn't make a "B level" high school team, and thus the person being attacked must not know what he's talking about.

That is uncool on many levels, not the least of which is bringing someone's family into it. For perspective, even the Mob and the FBI have rules about families, i.e. they are off limits. Does it make you feel important to put down a young girl to make your point? Young girls have enough self-image issues without being used to attack their fathers.

Beyond that, though, how does one's child's performance in any way add to or decrease the value of what the coach or instructor knows or teaches? There are a lot of factors that go into athletic excellence, and coaching is only one of them. For all we know, like many father/daughter relationships perhaps the daughter resists the teaching of her father. Perhaps she's not very athletic, and the coaching she's received, while not sending her to UCLA, has helped her overcome a lack of ability. Maybe she doesn't like practicing and doesn't put the effort into it. There could be lots of reasons someone's daughter (or son, for that matter) isn't a great player. Just like most great coaches were mediocre to sub-par players themselves.

Rather than working to undermine other people, here's a thought. State your case and let the quality of what you post speak for itself. If you're really as good as you think you are you won't need to put down other people with differing opinions. You will be instead be respected for your quality of character as well as your knowledge.

And again let me make it clear that use of ANY of the facilities of the Discuss Fastpitch Forum to attack another member will be dealt with swiftly, per the guidelines of the forum. If you're not sure of the rules of conduct, you can review them here.

For those engaged this behavior, let's grow up and start acting with class. In the end, you only hurt your own credibility by acting this way.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
That's pretty cowardly. Tough guy hiding behind a computer screen.

We're on this forum to learn from others and teach our experiences. That goes from 6 yo rec, 18u, and college.

This sport is not a one size fits all, but what we do have in common is the love for the game and sharing that with our daughters. Think for a moment before you hit the send button, picking on kids is not tolerable in my book. If you wouldn't say it face to face, then it's probably best not to say anything at all.

Rant over.

Jan 31, 2011
All the good folks on this site know the only thing that really counts is the memories you make with your kid. This forum is helpful to me to learn how to become a better coach and softball dad. I read others experiences and opinions and try to take the best of those on the field or in the car as we drive to a tourney.

Thanks Ken for keeping this site going and also in the spirit it was created.

Dec 29, 2010
Recently it has come to my attention that a member of this board has allgedly been attacking other members via private messages (PMs). Not only is that a pretty gutless tactic since the person being attacked doesn't have an opportunity to respond unless he/she is told about it, it is still a violation of the rules of this Forum.

Sure, it seems like a way to get around the Mods since we don't look at PMs. But speaking for myself, if I see our Forum being used for personal attacks by having such a message forwarded to me, I will deal with it in the same way I would if it was posted publicly.

What makes this particular incident even worse, in my eyes, is that the attacker didn't just go after the person he didn't like. He brought in that member's daughter as well. From what was reported to me, the attacker stated that the daughter wasn't very good, wouldn't make a "B level" high school team, and thus the person being attacked must not know what he's talking about.

That is uncool on many levels, not the least of which is bringing someone's family into it. For perspective, even the Mob and the FBI have rules about families, i.e. they are off limits. Does it make you feel important to put down a young girl to make your point? Young girls have enough self-image issues without being used to attack their fathers.

Beyond that, though, how does one's child's performance in any way add to or decrease the value of what the coach or instructor knows or teaches? There are a lot of factors that go into athletic excellence, and coaching is only one of them. For all we know, like many father/daughter relationships perhaps the daughter resists the teaching of her father. Perhaps she's not very athletic, and the coaching she's received, while not sending her to UCLA, has helped her overcome a lack of ability. Maybe she doesn't like practicing and doesn't put the effort into it. There could be lots of reasons someone's daughter (or son, for that matter) isn't a great player. Just like most great coaches were mediocre to sub-par players themselves.

Rather than working to undermine other people, here's a thought. State your case and let the quality of what you post speak for itself. If you're really as good as you think you are you won't need to put down other people with differing opinions. You will be instead be respected for your quality of character as well as your knowledge.

And again let me make it clear that use of ANY of the facilities of the Discuss Fastpitch Forum to attack another member will be dealt with swiftly, per the guidelines of the forum. If you're not sure of the rules of conduct, you can review them here.

For those engaged this behavior, let's grow up and start acting with class. In the end, you only hurt your own credibility by acting this way.

You run the site, it's like the Ny Jets annomously taking about Tebow, bunch of wussys/ beyotches. Call the spineless out so the members know who it is an put the punk on the pay no mind list. I have my filter on and know crap when it's squeezed from melons.

Happy Thanksgiving to all, and enjoy the journey with your dd. Something tells me it happens too fast.

Jun 20, 2008
Alot of these people take themselves and their opinions on batting etc way too seriously, I have learned something from most of you and I have thought that some things that most of you have said is crap...In the end do what works for the people you are teaching and post what your thoughts are and don't be a lil beotch if someone has different views than you. There are young men and women fighting all over the world today to allow us the right to post on this board be thankful for that and grow up!