At contact

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
xe09qp.gif

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
The angle of the bat at impact is not as important as the angle of the body at impact. Check out this post on my hitting blog for more of my thoughts on where the bat and body should be at impact. Stay On The Right Path | Hitting With Torque

The quick answer here is the bat should be relatively level at impact. If the hitter has close to full extension at impact, the bat will meet the ball on a level plane. However, the angle of the shoulders at impact will ensure the bat head begins to rise gradually after impact in order to drive the ball.

Look what I found on the blog:
moving2520batting2520skeleton.gif

On this day of independence, I thought it would be appropriate to briefly describe the fourth hitting key I teach to my hitters. The three hitting keys I described in previous posts were hands back toward the catcher at set-up, a power lift and turn of the front leg and foot, and full extension (lightning) of the arms at impact with the ball. Independence, as I apply it to the baseball or softball swing, is the competing rotational forces of the upper and lower body acting independently to create a high amount of torque and bat speed. (I found the picture (above) of the skeleton hitting with nice rotational mechanics. I will likely refer to this picture in future posts, because it clearly illustrates the kinetic connection between the various parts of the body.)

Welcome and hope you spend some time reading through the threads.
Also it's not-Shift then swing. A hitter Shifts and Swings.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
RDBass, in one of his blogs he starts with a video of Ortiz and then has this to say ...

* Lightning– As the ball reaches the hitting zone, his arms are nearly fully extended. Almost immediately after impact, his arms are fully extended in the “Power V” and they stay extended throughout the rest of the swing. It’s like a lightning bolt that is fully extended when it hits the ground for maximum damage.

Guess he's seeing what he wishes to see ... because this is the contact frame for that swing clip ..... and the rear arm is not "nearly fully extended".

t50ns2.jpg

So much for honesty.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
RDBass ... here is another section from his analysis of Ortiz ....

* A dramatic and powerful “load”– Ortiz lifts his front leg high in order to stack his weight on his back leg and foot. His leg lift is higher than most, which is how he generates high batspeed and power. As I have written, it also allows him to easily adjust to hit inside or outside pitches with authority. He will step toward the plate slightly for outside pitches and away from the plate slightly for outside pitches. Hitters who don’t lift the front leg have to reach for the outside pitch with their arms and are easily jammed by inside pitches.

Assuming that a hitter is not “guessing” at pitch location prior to determining the location of the pitch, ... the suggestion that a hitter strides “in” or “out”, based on their “reading of the pitch”, is terrible advice and suggests that the person doing the analysis has not actually stepped in the batter's box. There is simply no time to do this within a proper sequenced swing.

This is the type of recommendation you hear from someone that has not taken their own advice for a test run and kicked the tires on what they believe ..... because if they had done their homework then they would not have reached such a conclusion.

Simply bad advice.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
RDB, yet another section from his Ortiz description .....

* His hands are back (eventually)– When Ortiz lifts his leg during the “load”, his hands move down and then up. For young hitters, this would be called a “hitch” and would not be good. Ortiz makes this move, but eventually moves his hands back toward the catcher before he initiates the swing. I tell my hitters that professional hitters can get away with this pre-swing hand movement because they are—well—professionals! Young hitters should move their hands back toward the catcher when they set up and they should keep them there. Remember, by simply moving the hands back toward the catcher, a hitter can improve batspeed immediately.

The Hanson Pinciple.

Always compare what anybody tells you about the swing to slow motion clips of the best hitters in the world.
- Mark Hanson

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Hopefully with your example gifs and my suggestion of spending some time reading we may see some more accurate blogs? I had the same 'vision' of the swing before I was enlightened and found the 'truth'.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I hope petrrica isn't being paid for his instruction. I read through his hitting blog and OH VEY! For the "tilt" he teaches to gradually lower the back shoulder....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heatherann2006