At contact

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I don't want to pile on but,...
Seems to be a blog about:
-shift then swing
-Get to front foot and wait.
-swing around the body
-Hands straight back to catcher.
Atleast it wasn't a DVD...yet.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I hope petrrica isn't being paid for his instruction. I read through his hitting blog and OH VEY! For the "tilt" he teaches to gradually lower the back shoulder....

How else is the bat suppose to get down level to the ball. Don't forget to keep both shoulders level first. Forget about that crazy down and in and toe touch.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
RCB, here is another blurb from his Ortiz analysis ...

* No wrist break– Here is another example of a great hitter who never breaks his wrists during the swing. As I pointed out in a previous post, breaking the wrists after impact is unnecessary and only serves to restrict the swing from maintaining batspeed.

Using the same swing clip, take a close look at the top hand/wrist as the swing transitions through contact. Here, I’ll enlarge the video given in the example. Notice how Ortiz does not restrict his top hand/wrist from rolling. Advice to hit with the top hand frozen "palm to sky", through to full extension, is faulty advice that restricts energy transfer to the barrel.

ortiz_wristroll_zpsff52d088.gif

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
How else is the bat suppose to get down level to the ball. Don't forget to keep both shoulders level first. Forget about that crazy down and in and toe touch.

There are several "instructors" around my area that teaches some strange stuff, and it bothers me they are getting paid to do so... Some of these kids are hitting .250, where they could be hitting .400 as they are athletic enough.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

Want to hear something even funnier?

This week I worked with a player that is seeing a former MLB pro for hitting instruction. I asked her what she was currently working on. She told me she was working on having her swing "level to the ground" at contact. She then demo'd it ... and sure enough, she showed me a "level to the ground" swing.

I asked her ... "how are you going to use that swing to hit a pitch low in the zone, at your knees?"

She thought about it for a moment ... then replied with ... "I'll use my old swing for pitches low in the zone".

I wished her good luck.

Should be fun to see her using two different swings depending on the result of her "reading of the pitch". Sort of like this guy here suggesting a different stride after the "reading of the pitch" phase ... just too funny.

So, there are people out there that simply aren't seeing reality. Heck, this Paul Petricca guy is giving swing clips and describing something completely different ... and then wondering why people aren't seeing what he is describing.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I don't want to pile on but,...
Seems to be a blog about:
-shift then swing
-Get to front foot and wait.
-swing around the body
-Hands straight back to catcher.
Atleast it wasn't a DVD...yet.

Wow, just amazing. How can one person get all that wrong and then document it? Maybe not a DVD ... but the information is disseminated by a faster means. Sad really.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

You weren't kidding.

He wrote the following .....

Before the upper body begins to rotate, the shoulders should be at the same level. As soon as the upper body begins to rotate, the angle of the shoulders should slowly begin to change. The back shoulder should gradually become lower than the front shoulder for three reasons. First, by slowly lowering (not dipping) the back shoulder, it will be easier for the hitter to “square up” the ball. If you watch the swing path of great hitters, they typically will have a bat angle of approximately 10% at impact. This angle at the moment of impact will lead to more line drive hits.

Hmmm ... "Before the upper body begins to rotate, the shoulders should be at the same level." Really???

Poor Cabrera.

egu9w7.jpg

I guess what you cued in on was ... "the angle of the shoulders should slowly begin to change". Slowly? This is the explosion time. This is not the time for "gradually" or "slowly lowering". The feeling is more ... much more ... IMMEDIATE.

Almost makes one wonder if what is being advocated is "late bat speed".

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
You weren't kidding.

Before the upper body begins to rotate, the shoulders should be at the same level. As soon as the upper body begins to rotate, the angle of the shoulders should slowly begin to change. The back shoulder should gradually become lower than the front shoulder for three reasons. First, by slowly lowering (not dipping) the back shoulder, it will be easier for the hitter to “square up” the ball. If you watch the swing path of great hitters, they typically will have a bat angle of approximately 10% at impact. This angle at the moment of impact will lead to more line drive hits.

Hmmm ... "Before the upper body begins to rotate, the shoulders should be at the same level." Really???

Poor Cabrera.

egu9w7.jpg

I guess what you cued in on was ... "the angle of the shoulders should slowly begin to change". Slowly? This is the explosion time. This is not the time for "gradually" or "slowly lowering". The feeling is more ... much more ... IMMEDIATE.

I'm sure when he learns more, if Pete' s interested in 'learning' the real swing sequence 10% might change to degrees?
Reminds me of the college coach's info that I forwarded to you.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
You weren't kidding.

Poor Cabrera.

egu9w7.jpg

He is advocated something worse...Shift,...wait....then swing.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors