At contact

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 27, 2012
When you are rotating the barrel to hit the ball, should the barrel be vertical or horizontal at the point of contact? Like this \ or like this --?

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
It all depends where the pitch is. The lower the pitch the more of \. Letter high the closer you are to this --.

If you are asking if you should lower your hands so it would look like -- the answer is no.

I have had a few kids swing like this &...but they are usually not to successful...to many movements.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
2chtg1t.gif

Nov 9, 2013
The angle of the bat at impact is not as important as the angle of the body at impact. Check out this post on my hitting blog for more of my thoughts on where the bat and body should be at impact. Stay On The Right Path | Hitting With Torque

The quick answer here is the bat should be relatively level at impact. If the hitter has close to full extension at impact, the bat will meet the ball on a level plane. However, the angle of the shoulders at impact will ensure the bat head begins to rise gradually after impact in order to drive the ball.

Jul 10, 2008
Central PA
Because the strongest position to hit from is with the hands above the barrel, the barrel will always be angled. The degree of the angle depends on pitch height. Even pitches up in the zone require the hands above the barrel to hit it forcefully. You will always have the bat angled at contact if you're to hit it powerfully. The path the barrel is on will stay relatively level once you launch the upper body.

petricca413, welcome to the site! There's a lot of good information to be learned here, and some really knowledgeable posters. Welcome to the fray! :)

Hands above the barrel (High Pitch).jpg Lateral Tilt (Bat, Forearms, Shoulders) 01.jpg Lateral Tilt (Bat, Forearms, Shoulders) 03.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
When you are rotating the barrel to hit the ball, should the barrel be vertical or horizontal at the point of contact? Like this \ or like this --?

The barrel should not be level to the ground at contact, but diagonal, with the steepness determined by the height/location of the pitch.

b6orpc.gif

14m4a6h.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The angle of the bat at impact is not as important as the angle of the body at impact. Check out this post on my hitting blog for more of my thoughts on where the bat and body should be at impact. Stay On The Right Path | Hitting With Torque

The quick answer here is the bat should be relatively level at impact. If the hitter has close to full extension at impact, the bat will meet the ball on a level plane. However, the angle of the shoulders at impact will ensure the bat head begins to rise gradually after impact in order to drive the ball.

The advice that "the bat should be relatively level at impact" may be a "quick answer", but that doesn't make it a good answer.

Full extension at contact is a terrible goal. A much better goal is that documented by Jaime Cevallos in his book Positional Hitting. Take note of the bend in the rear arm at contact in the following hitters .....

29cxbno.gif

2qktj61.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdawson30