ASU vs Texas - tipping pitches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Here's a question for those who think it's ok for the coach to yell out pitches while the pitcher is in her windup. Is it ok to sneak a peek at the catcher to see where the ball is headed, and likely the pitch that's being thrown?

In baseball doing that would likely get you a pitch to the head. What about softball? And if one is ok and not the other, what's the difference?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Here's a question for those who think it's ok for the coach to yell out pitches while the pitcher is in her windup. Is it ok to sneak a peek at the catcher to see where the ball is headed, and likely the pitch that's being thrown?

In baseball doing that would likely get you a pitch to the head. What about softball? And if one is ok and not the other, what's the difference?

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W

Just so we are clear, are you advocating throwing at a batter's head or implying that it's okay? :confused:

May 10, 2010
Just like any thing softball the info will be effective about 50% of the time. I think a pitchers motion tips a pitch more than a coach picking up grips from 3rd. To me it's nothing more than mind games. Catchers also give pitches away when they set up to early.

Mar 11, 2009
Coach for ASU should have used code words like most every other team does, picking pitches and relaying that info to hitters, its part of the game. Most of you guys are shocked cuz he was just blatently calling it out to hitters which I didn't like too much either. If he was saying "lets go" for pitch up, and "hit it" for change up most of you guys probably wouldn't of had a problem with it.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Folks, in my opinion the ASU coaches action is purely gamesmanship. He is a part of the team and as part of the team He is trying to give His team an edge, an angle, a way to win. Did He have Luna's pitches picked? Maybe, Maybe not, but even guessing based on pitch count and history and shouting an educated guess gives the impression that He knows something and that would do more to affect the pitcher than to actually help his batters with a location or pitch type. So if He can put just an inkling of doubt in the opposing pitcher's head then He has gone a long way toward helping His team to win. It's a great GAME! play it 100% or don't play at all.

Mar 11, 2009
Baserunners on second base try to relay signs to batters, location mostly and if they can get a pitch sign they will...Good catchers and coaches of opposing teams catch on and make the adjustments. I don't think anybody is complaining about that! I know a retired MLB player that has told me numerous ways teams try to gain any advantage they could!! Should Luna have sent some chin music to ASU hitters, maybe but that is not for me or you to say but up to the coaches and pitcher and catcher.

Mar 11, 2009
Entire teams do it, coaches and players. The teams that do it best are the ones that don't let you know they are doing it, subtle and flying under the radar are the way to go. Most people were suprised he was so blatantly just saying what the pitch was. I enjoy the game just the same.

My problem with it is the same as pitchers that scream right before the pitch gets to the batter. Its nothing more than a gimmick to throw off your opposition. Its total busch league, teach your kids to pick pitches. I lost all respect for Clint Myers, maybe he just needs to coach his hitters better. Good luck at Auburn.

Dec 20, 2012
What would be the difference in the coach calling out what the defense is doing? "Third is creeping" translation push bunt or hard slap. "Watch SS"- runner on 3rd keep the lead shorter, "watch the bunt"- watch the bunt, "tag up and listen for me"- tag up and listen...... They call all types of plays, scenarios, schemes. They are every bit part of the game, they read the defense and give a signal to the batter. Now they read the pitcher(defense) and give signal to the batter. And it is done in baseball although a lot more descrete, usually done by another player rather than the coach. No problem here, part of the game. Just like a high inside pitch getting away from the pitcher is part fo the game.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06