Flabbergasted

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
In the grand scheme of things I know it doesn't matter. It wasn't a region game so it doesn't really affect us. But the fact that the other scorer knew enough to have to fix GC to allow them to end in the 7th inning just annoys me. Just own up to it? Never in my 6 years of using GC has GC ever gotten an inning wrong. Unless you completely missed scoring the 1st inning, the app won't get it wrong!

I know recently a batter in MLB got the ump to change a 2-2 count to a 3-1 count. I thought umps used clickers for that so not sure how NO ONE knew the count except possibly whoever scores it so it shows the count on the screen. And when you rewatch it, it's super clear that it was 2-2. Pretty sure he eventually walked and had that been a winning run or something - as the other team I'd have been pissed.

Jun 8, 2016
In the grand scheme of things I know it doesn't matter. It wasn't a region game so it doesn't really affect us. But the fact that the other scorer knew enough to have to fix GC to allow them to end in the 7th inning just annoys me.
Expect the worst hope for the best works well with adult humans involved in youth sports..(unfortunately)

Jan 25, 2022
I hate running the board. I have untreated ADD and despite my best efforts, I still miss things. Outs and which half if the inning it is, mostly. Our bookkeeper is a boss though. She usually can set me straight.

May 29, 2015
If I am reading you and the rule book correctly, the game should have ended at 13-2 after five innings due to USA rules? 1 Fast Pitch: a Men’s: 15 after three innings, 12 after four innings or seven after five innings. b Women’s and JO: 15 after three innings, 12 after four innings or eight after five innings. 2

Assuming they actually use USA, I would presume (I don't know for sure) they would use the JO/women's rules.

May 29, 2015
So another parent who was sitting behind outfield with my husband actually noticed the scoreboard was messed up around the 4th inning maybe. And he mentioned it to my husband and they were both wondering if I noticed. Obv I hadn't. When the "game was over" my husband said they could see me with my hands up and were like - oh she knows now. When I told the coaches, they said the person who does the paper book for them in the dugout thought they had screwed up so she noticed an issue too. Obv the other team realized they screwed up because they had to do some manip in GC to get it to flip to the 7th inning. I don't know HOW the umps didn't realize - I thought they had a little book where they wrote stuff like this down. I think everyone else was just confused because the scoreboard was wrong.
Here is the manip they did to GC to get it to be over in the 7th :/ Mine ends in the 6th inning.

View attachment 26375

How do you know the other team was in on it. Seems to me more like they looked up, saw "7" on the scoreboard, assumed they made a mistake, and did what they could to fix it in their app.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Assuming they actually use USA, I would presume (I don't know for sure) they would use the JO/women's rules.
I went on the Section XI website, and it linked to the NYSPHSSA site, which then linked to the USA softball rule book.

It would seem we've been using the wrong rules the last few years. In fairness, many of the umpires on Long Island do mostly USSSA tournaments, so maybe they're using those rules instead without realizing their mistake.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I don't know HOW the umps didn't realize - I thought they had a little book where they wrote stuff like this down. I think everyone else was just confused because the scoreboard was wrong.
More than once I have had an umpire confer with the scoreboard operator to confirm his (very wrong) count, but they just changed the count to what he said, so he was just confirming his own wrong count.

Had this happen in a league this summer where a league employee would score the game on GameChanger. Umpire blew the count, I spoke up, he asked the GC guy, the GC guy repeated the count the umpire had just told him, then later told me had the count I had but thought he messed up so just went with the umpire's count.

Never underestimate a human being's fear of being the only one who's wrong, so instead they just decide to be wrong with the group.

My guess is a lot of people thought something wasn't right, but they all assumed someone else would've said something by now.

Jul 27, 2021
Did I read this correctly that the OP is says this error was intentional or just super annoyed?
Sounds like simple errors.
The crowd in the bleachers/backstop/outfield easly just go with whats on the scoreboard.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
It just seems odd that they would go to the lengths to "fix" GC instead of asking someone to be sure. Scoreboard is not the authority. Most teams have someone also doing book in the dugout. Unless you just "accidently" forgot to start scoring in the first inning - I don't think GC is going to make a mistake. Line-ups would be out of whack. It's very hard to screw up to where you miss an entire inning.

As soon as I noticed it in GC, I immediately went to their GC where I knew they were scoring it to make sure I was right. And they had already "ended" it by skipping an inning.

I wish I had gotten a shot of the scoreboard so I could have at least seen which inning was wrong to match it up to the box score.

Aug 10, 2016
Georgia
Did I read this correctly that the OP is says this error was intentional or just super annoyed?
Sounds like simple errors.
The crowd in the bleachers/backstop/outfield easly just go with whats on the scoreboard.
No I don't think it was intentional and yes I get it - mistakes happen. But when they noticed it - they should have said something. Instead of "fixing" it before consulting with the other person doing the book. After I figured out there was an issue - I was looking for their scorer to see if we could discuss - it showed it was done by their coach but I'm assuming he has someone handle it while he coaches and they were already in the player meeting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00