ASA speed up runner rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 16, 2013
Utah
After last night's game, I'm confussed with the speed up rule. Needed to speed up for the pitcher. Last out was the catcher, so we used the second to last out. Umpire checked lineup card and we were good. Next inning we have same situation. Want to speed up for pitcher. Last out was catcher. Now umpire says we can't use second to last out, rather we have to use player in the lineup spot just before last out (who wasn't an out). Umpire says this way is the international tie breaker rule and the rule for the past six years. So now I'm totally confussed. What is the speed up rule when the last out was the pitcher or catcher?

Jun 22, 2008
ASA doesnt have a speed up rule, they have a courtesy runner rule and it isnt the last out. It is a runner who has not yet participated in the game who may be used as a courtesy runner. Are you playing in some league that has added some rules of their own?

Jan 16, 2013
Utah
It's a league that says they use ASA rules but have always allowed last out be the speed up runner. Could you still have a courtesy runner if you only had nine players and no one sitting?

Jun 22, 2008
It's a league that says they use ASA rules but have always allowed last out be the speed up runner. Could you still have a courtesy runner if you only had nine players and no one sitting?

If you only have 9 players you have no one who has not yet participated in the game. So no, you could not have a courtesy runner with only 9 players.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
You need to take this to your league director and/or league UIC to be clarified and, more importantly, documented.

As has been said, ASA does not have a "speed up" rule, only the courtesy runner rule which has been presented here.

Yet another example of a local league adding their own rules without thinking through and/or communicating how that will affect the game.

Feb 3, 2011
I've never heard of a "speed up rule".

Our rec league is also ASA, and the local rules allow a courtesy runner to be used for pitcher or catcher. The CR is the last out. Simple. If the pitcher and catcher follow one another in the lineup, that doesn't change the rule.

The various local tournaments have a variety of different CR rules. Sunday is always straight ASA which Comp spelled out, but on Saturdays, it may be last out or could be anyone running for anyone else.

Feb 24, 2012
^^^^^again modified ASA^^^^^

ASA is straight 9, can use DP/Flex and CR is only allowed to be a player who has not yet played in game.

Jan 22, 2011
We bat the whole line-up in our rec league. We have a rule allowing a courtesy runner for a pitcher or catcher that is rarely used. We just clarify that it is the player not on base who will come up last.

I don't have a rulebook at work, but I think we worded it that way because that is the way the ASA International Tie breaker rule currently is.

Players who are currently in the game are eligible to serve as courtesy runners. A courtesy runner must be the player not on base who will come up last to bat at the time of the entry of the courtesy runner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes