ASA or Babe Ruth Sanctioning

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 19, 2008
Hello,
My daughter played in a small town rec league. Next year she will be in high school and wont be able to play int he same league. We have talked about putting together a team, say 16u and playing in some tournaments on weekends. What I want to know is... what is needed to become a ASA or Babe Ruth sanctioned team? Insurance? Fees? I know others on here should know, and any help is appreciated. I did email ASA, and am awaiting a reply. In the meantime, if you can let me know what is all needed and required, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Rob

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Rob, first thing you'll need to do is decide which organization(s) you want to play in. You can play in tournaments from more than one sanctioning body, but each of them will charge you a registration fee. Usually it's not much -- $30 more or less for most -- but they can add up.

Once you know where you want to play you have to register your players. Most of the organizations have an online mechanism for that, so you need to poke around their Web sites until you find it. The procedures can vary on each. On NSA, be careful to do it right the first time. I haven't found a way to remove a player or edit the information once you've saved it.

Usually you'll need the player's name, address and date of birth. Sometimes you'll need to pay the fee and get a sanctioning number before you can enter player information, so leave yourself enough time. After the information has been entered you normally have to print it out and have it signed by the player and parent or guardian. Unsigned rosters will not be accepted at tournaments.

You will also need to purchase insurance. We've always used ASA's insurance. It's pretty reasonable for a good amount of coverage.

When you sign up for a tournament you'll need to pay a fee for it. The amount depends on where you live and whatever the tournament director feels like charging. Some will require you to bring two balls as well, but most don't. eTeamz has a good tournament directory, and you can also ask around if there are other travel teams in your area.

You'll need to purchase uniforms, of course. By the rules, everyone needs to be wearing the same uniform.

That should give you the basics.

Feb 19, 2009
I've never started up a team but I coached an all-star team this summer for a Babe Ruth affiliated team. You may find it not worth it to affiliate with them if there are no other nearby BR affiliated teams or leagues, your team will be required to play a certain number of rec league games (probably 10) against other BR affiliated teams to be eligable for their tournaments.

The insurance is cheap but the admin. requirements are a pain in the a$$.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves