ASA is playing hardball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2009
Maybe someone at ASA woke up, might have a vision. Cause if I was chasing a dream I'd prob opt for the Premier as a national team. The Premier pulled the rabbit out of the hat, can ASA adapt?

Here's the problem with the ASA. They have become a ponderous legislative entity. There are too many people voting on things they know very little or nothing about. They take too long to bring rules and change into place. I think the "Too big to fail." mentality was in place. When Premier came into play the ASA made a couple of changes but still have not changed their basic business model.

I liken this latest move to the entertainment industry trying to stem online piracy. Instead of out thinking and giving the community what they are looking for the entertainment industry and the ASA are trying to bludgeon everyone into the old business model. I can't see it working. Usually when you force people to do something the reaction is negative because there is someone out there who is will to give them what they ask for.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
ASA and PGF have different priorities. You want an Ivory Tower organization with a priority toward HS players, PGF is for you. You want the closest thing to democracy this country has seen in more than a century, then ASA is it. Both have their positives, both have their detractors and never is everyone going to be happy.

Yes, ASA is not reactionary unless there is a dire safety issue involved. And AFA people voting on things of which they have no knowledge, I believe in today's council that would be a rare instance. It is a standard practice in ASA's general council for committees to defer to that which has the most input and effect. IOW, if a proposal is for JO ball, the JO committee carries the weight and often the consensus. It can still be challenged on the floor in front of the General Council, but it is rare a game-specific recommendation of the primary committee is overturned. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but when it does, there always seems to be a legal or enforcement issue involved.

PGF focuses on a select gender-specific, scholastically-limited single game. ASA must focus on a minimum of four separate games involving all genders and ages. And while FP has been closing the gap somewhat over the last few years, SP still pays the bills, yet gets minimal attention compared to the JO and USA Softball programs.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06