ASA 10U A/B National Championship Recaps

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Armed and dangerous: Standout pitchers bring heat at softball tournament

By Amanda Marsh - Press Staff Writer
Megan Faraimo and Andrea Hernandez, of Team Watley from Southern California. (Tony Duncan/Johnson City Press)

Before Megan Faraimo and Andrea Hernandez ever made a windmill motion on the field, they each had to learn the basics of muscle memory and the balance between accuracy and speed.

These two star pitchers from Team Watley, based in Santa Ana, Calif., are using the skills they’ve picked up from pitching coaches and countless games to compete on a national level at the 2011 USA/ASA Girls 10-Under Class A Fastpitch Softball National Championship.

Both Faraimo and Hernandez blasted throws between 54-57 miles per hour while warming up at Winged Deer Park on Wednesday afternoon. Before their first tournament contest against Georgia Fire, the young players explained why they chose such a complex position.

“Ever since I was little, I always liked the position of pitcher,” Faraimo said. “When I started at 8-under I realized that no one can pitch like I can.”

That uniquely quick and hard-to-hit toss led the 11-year-old to a prestigious spot on Team Watley, which is sponsored by Natasha Watley, the shortstop and first baseman for the 2004 and 2008 USA Olympic softball teams

Faraimo and Hernandez developed their skills long before joining the Amateur Softball Association team. Hernandez took lessons from a pitching coach before finally catching on to that round-about style special to fastpitch softball.

“I struggled a little bit and then I finally got the hang of it,” Hernandez said.

There isn’t much of a learning curve by the time the girls get to the national championship, held at Winged Deer Park through Saturday. Coach Robert Young says they enter the program with elite skills that continually improve throughout the demanding season.

“Once you get to nationals you’re a seasoned veteran,” he said. “You’re ‘battle-tested’ as we say, so this is our final report card for the year. They aren’t coming to nationals to learn how to pitch or enhance their pitching. By the time they get here, they are mini-pros at what they do.”

To become standouts at the ripe age of 10, Faraimo and Hernandez go through a lot of training and a lot of decision making to figure out what type of grip and movement feels right to them.

“With pitching it’s all about the grip of the ball,” Young said. “It’s all about finding that happy medium to be able to throw that same pitch all the time with that same grip and that same intensity and that’s what’s tough for the younger players.”

Team Watley pitchers apply ice to the shoulders and elbows of their pitching arms after each game to ease the soreness. With the possibility of cranking out about 100 throws each contest, they develop a strong muscle memory for those repetitive throws and try to get plenty of rest. When it’s game time, however, their focus is on the way each pitch plays out.

“I have to focus on the glove because if I throw the pitch one time and it doesn’t go well, they might hit a shot,” Hernandez said.

Faraimo is confident the strong defense that stands behind her will be able to make a play out of grounders and pop-ups. Plus they are there for support when she’s feeling nervous.

Team Watley has gotten off to a great start in the tournament, allowing only one run during pool play games early in the week. As a result of the hard work, the group skipped the first round of winner’s bracket play and instead played Wednesday evening. They beat Georgia Fire 12-0 and will play against the Birmingham Vipers today at 5 p.m.

“I try to be humble about it,” Young said. “We’re blessed to have two really elite pitchers on our team. A lot of teams don’t have what we have.”

Jun 3, 2010
I would have loved to have seen Team Watley play the Birmingham Vipers, I believe the final score was 3-2 Watley. We saw the Vipers play all summer, and they were extremly good.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Does anyone know if team Watley pitched one 10 yo, the entire trny.? That is what the rumor is. Also, this was a more or less All Star team and even girls from south AZ. were on it. (If there is any truth to stuff posted on the Internet.)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Does anyone know if team Watley pitched one 10 yo, the entire trny.? That is what the rumor is.

Probably so. Reminds me of another thread on here today, Why so many injuries.

Let's hope that's not the case. As a PC it's very hard NOT to ride the mule. But I also have to be honest.........I would love to see a 11 YO throwing 57. :)

dgu

Aug 22, 2011
The score against the Vipers was 1-0 went to 2 int. tie breakers and the best 10u game I have ever witnessed. Flawless softball the entire game from both teams and unfortunately somebody had to lose.

Team Watley started their #1 pitcher every game but she usually was pulled out at the 2nd or 3rd inning when they took control of game. In Nationals it was only 1 game per day except Friday where we played 2 so really our pitchers were never over worked and came out fresh because we were never in losers bracket.

As to a post we never had any girls from AZ on our team. All of our girls are from So. Cal and we had all the same girls who started with us in Jan. with the exception of 1 who was on team for 2 months prior to Nationals.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA