AROD fights back

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 16, 2017
I was just watching a Jenny Finch video where she says she snaps through the hello elbow zone. She doesn't do that at all. Or at least not until way after her arm moves toward her target first. Hello Elbow is junk just as the swing down as being demoed by ARod or AP is being shown. Great players, bad coaches. Most great players don't make good coaches. Some of the sorriest players make the best coaches. Not only batting but all parts of the game are full of great players that play more on feel than real. It is not just sports, many great artist can't teach people how they do what they do. Coaching is a talent, playing is a talent, they are not the same.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
You're right. Turning the barrel deep is what several people have been talking about. Setting it up with a lower body running start is what Tewks was talking about in the thread from 2011 that I mentioned a few weeks ago. These are all great points, but nothing that contradicts 1-leg/rear-leg hitting. It's all part of it... FWIW, this is one of the reasons I don't care for the "names". I can understand why people want to consider this 2-legged or balanced. It's all in the way we understand the various terms. They both fit.

FYI... Years ago, members of the posse created those terms (I think...). They were meant to be descriptive. But some people took offense to the names and started throwing in terms such as "balance". One side started to misrepresent what balance meant. Then the other side started to misrepresent what 1-legged meant. Etc. Etc. Etc. If you read the early threads, there was some good discussion about why the terms were used, and what they actually meant. Then some of the participants seemed no longer interested in discussion and only wanted to argue. That is pretty much when BBD started to go south. Some of the older threads had good, open, honest discussion that offered good information. Now it is just a lot of bickering with virtually no content at all.

As far as 1 legged hitting or rear legged hitting. The descriptions and demos shown(SBs or TMs) all seem to have a player on the backside to long(riding the rear leg and off balance aka uphill) therefore are not a ‘match’. Hence my hesitation with the term ‘one or rear legged’ hitting.

As far as ‘balance’ in the swing. We all know it’s dynamic. But the ‘hitting position’ (when COM drops aka shifts then the swing happens)we all see is a balanced position and is found in the MLB pattern. I have yet to have seen this in any ‘one’ legged or ‘rear’ legged swings per SB or TM. So different descriptions are needed. 2 legged maybe or 50/50. Most pro instructors like the latter. Go figure.

Either way. These terms seem to have been taken out of context according to you, but it’s what we SEE being touted as correct. If you expect all of us to go back and read those threads so we can use the terms to your liking. Probably not gonna happen. Probably you should just change your ‘terms’.Or your understanding of how they are being used today.

I wouldn’t get caught up in the terms and how there used. I would get caught up in what is being touted as right and wrong. As well as what matches pro swings and their video and cues. Just saying. Jmo.

You can believe a guru ‘knows’ if you like. The video says TM and SB don’t know( I don’t mind J Stone though, he is a pro guy now).There players don’t match. They are just like you and I. They just decided to try to make a living at it.

Personally, most of this, in my mind is about getting clientele and $$$. They all claim to have a ‘secret sauce’. Or something ‘new’. Hence ‘their’ terms. But don’t match. 🤔

I use ‘terms’ that fit what is being described. WOW. WHAT A CONCEPT?! I’m selling nothing.

Why would anyone want to use terms that don’t fit the description of what is happening? Maybe to lure? Second guess? Build curiousity? Sell a membership? Many reasons I can think of. The journey for ‘truth’ turned into the journey for money. IME.

So, with all this being said, one legged to me is what TM shows through his students. Shift is the swing is the ‘one legged’ of today as is termed as such. They way it was used 8 years ago has no bearing of how it is understood now.

I feel the same way with how TM bastardized TTB. It was a directional loading cue until TM changed it to a swing launch cue. I just work around the 2 meanings now. One ‘loads’ the barrel one ‘unloads’ the barrel. I will ask what someone means when they use TTB.

50/50

Rear legged

These don’t match. Hard to use like terms with different patterns.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I was just watching a Jenny Finch video where she says she snaps through the hello elbow zone. She doesn't do that at all. Or at least not until way after her arm moves toward her target first. Hello Elbow is junk just as the swing down as being demoed by ARod or AP is being shown. Great players, bad coaches. Most great players don't make good coaches. Some of the sorriest players make the best coaches. Not only batting but all parts of the game are full of great players that play more on feel than real. It is not just sports, many great artist can't teach people how they do what they do. Coaching is a talent, playing is a talent, they are not the same.
This ^^^^^^ is very simplistic, but true.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

So Lisa Fernandez and Bill Hillhouse and Ted Williams all were bad coaches?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Performing at a high level is a different skill than teaching others to perform at a high level. Agree or disagree?

I think they are two different skills. I do not think it is subjective.

Keyword: skills.

They both can be worked at and improved over time. Saying ‘good players make bad coaches’ is a wreckless blanket statement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00