AROD fights back

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Do we all agree that if we asked an 11-year-old to literally duplicate AROD's demonstrated arm path and movement (which he is asking you to do on the video) the players swing would look nothing like the swings we see that result in hard drives to the outfield?

I wish.........................
1557701228179941.gif

Nov 16, 2017
If you did a study on how many former great players that are now great coaches I bet the percentages are really low compared to marginal if not irrelevant players that are now great coaches.

Great players that have made great coaches:

Steve Kerr
Doc Rivers (Great player? good player, great coach?, good coach)
Mike Scioscia
Bill Russell
Joe Torre
Jim Harbaugh
Ditka

I am sure there are others, but it was difficult thinking of those. Now, I don't have enough time to list the marginal players that have become great coaches. In fact most of the greatest coaches of all-time where never great players.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
If you did a study on how many former great players that are now great coaches I bet the percentages are really low compared to marginal if not irrelevant players that are now great coaches.

Steve Kerr
Mike Scioscia
Bill Russell
Joe Torre
Jim Harbaugh
Ditka

I am sure there are others, but it was difficult thinking of those. Now, I don't have enough time to list the marginal players that have become great coaches. In fact most of the greatest coaches of all-time where never great players.

As Pattar said ‘proper motivation’ most likely plays a big part in ‘why’ the best didn’t become the best coaches. Not much to prove? No need for the money? I wouldn’t say it’s because they don’t know what they do.

Even at our level. Coaching is a thankless job and not for everyone. Managing personalities, confidence, technique, parents, game situations, adjustments. Imagine at the pro level??? You must love doing it or your performance will definitely suffer eventually.

Ask Magic. 10 games is all he could endure. 1 year as president. Proper motivation was clearly absent in both situations.

Jun 8, 2016

Steve Kerr
Mike Scioscia
Bill Russell
Joe Torre
Jim Harbaugh
Ditka

Larry Bird was a pretty good coach...he was smart enough to have Rick Carlisle on his staff to do some of the heavy lifting. Also coaching at the pro level is not the same as being a hitting instructor. Managing/coaching at the pro level is as much about managing personalities as it is about teaching/instructing.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Yes of course a hitter can get too front legged.

I agree that the rear leg needs to stay ‘loaded’ until the swing is launched. No doubt about it. We agree on this point.

But in the meanwhile the front leg has performed its task of creating the frontside ‘buffer’ and leveraged position as well as engaged the front oblique to pull the torso so the swing can be launched from the middle. I see this in pro swings all the time. It’s the ‘secret sauce’ ONLY if you can get it to happen in sequence. OR NATURALLY. No active rotation.SB would love this. 😑 I agree that the front leg has a role, but I'm not quite sure what you mean by a frontside "buffer". I don't remember seeing that one before. We also agree on the "no active rotation". It happens, but don't force it to happen.

Notice the oblique turn while the rib cage stays ‘back’. Sequenced. Kinetic. Nothing is forced.
Too me that’s using 2 legs correctly. If the sequence is right, there really is no need to speak of the legs JMO. That’s kinda why I call BS when I hear about the legs. Get the engine right and the legs will support and react to what the body wants it to do. I'm guessing that what you are referring to as "oblique turn" is what I refer to as a "lower body running start". I believe this is what TM refers to as the "missing frames".

For the 10 years TM has been touting ‘bop’ he just recently as maybe 2 years ago incorporated ‘laser’ so there’s that. I’ve had said many times he has revised so many times along the way. Fine and dandy BUT claiming elite level since day 1. Not. Remember when he added tilt to support the barrel to get rid of the stalled back elbow? I will be honest. When I started reading the forums, I was not a fan of TM. I realize some people don't like him, and I can understand why. Some of his material was interesting to me. Some seemed a little too extreme... As I have read more about it, I have started to understand more. The "laser drill" is something that I have just seen the past 2 years or so, but I really don't know if he talked about anything similar before. I read some things on the HI blog (the free side), but I was never a member of HI. It has always been my understanding that some of the "secrets" were kept on the pay side. I'm saying this because I don't feel as though I am qualified to discuss HI mechanics at this point in time. Ultimately, that is my primary issue with the Arod clip. I have no doubt that Arod understands what he wanted to do in the box. But when he started to talk about the ferris wheel, he lost all credibility in my eyes. It was clear he had absolutely no clue what he was talking about. Does he know his swing? Maybe. Does he know the ferris wheel? Clearly not. In the same vein, I refuse to comment on something that I am not confident about as I see that as a credibility issue. I do not fully understand TM's stuff, therefore I should not comment directly about it. I just comment on the things that I do know.

Getting to the ‘middle’ for me is a feel thing and video thing. COM Turning forward before the swing is launched is an absolute imo. While the back leg is still loaded. That’s the sign that the core is pulling while the hands are free and independent. Not along for the ride. It is the adjustablity factor. We are in agreement here. I know you will disagree, but these are all part of 1-legged hitting, IMO.

I don’t see this with SBs or TMs students. The COM comes forward all together with the hands. That is the ‘the swing is in the shift’ mantra. From a technical viewpoint. I might not understand it fully. But I think I do. I disagree with this. It may be your view of "swing is the shift", but it is not mine.

I feel like there isn’t a need to speak of a shift either if the sequence is right. As with the legs. Let me know if I have misrepresented anything. As you can see from my notes above, we agree on many of the points. I only disagree with a couple. I'm not sure anyone here that follows "1-legged" or "rear-legged" mechanics would agree with the statement I bolded above.

Imbedded in your quote...

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Some players make good coaches but not all. Some players make good teachers but not all. AROD's video is not a good teach.

The problems with AROD's video is his demonstration of the Ferris Wheel is a total misrepresentation. And his demonstration of the attack path to the ball would not succeed under any circumstance. Then he goes on to tell young players - do as I do.

Most people will take the input of a top-level pro literally. Imagine the kid showing up at a tryout hacking down at a ball because of this demonstration.

There may be helpful principles behind the demonstration, in fact there almost certainly must be based on the teaching of AROD, Chamberlin, and Bonds that we've seen on this site. But as an instructional tool, it's a bad and confusing video.

If a straight line is all that is required as AROD insists then why is the bat wrapped at all? Why not just start with the bat held out perpendicular to the ground? The bat has to rotate around a corner no matter what. It's really more of a matter of what path the barrel will take.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207