Arm band insanity

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
So, I was down at the old ball park and there was an 18U team wearing arm bands when they were batting, but not in the field.

The arm-banded team was leading 3-1 and they were up to bat.

There was a runner at 1B, and the batter hits a single, putting runners at 1st and 3rd. There is one out. I look in the on-deck circle, and the next batter is 6'2" and weighs 220. She is swinging a telephone pole in the on-deck circle.

So, this mountain of a kid gets into the batter's box. She is about six inches taller than the umpire, and looks like she could lift the catcher with one arm.

In the old days, the coach would simply have yelled, "Hey, hit the ball." Now, however, the coach at 3B is flashing all kinds of numbers for 30 seconds, and everyone takes another 30 seconds to check their arm band.

We go through this same thing 3 times--the coach keeps flashing these numbers. Funny thing, everyone knew exactly what he was telling the batter to do. The coach, apparently, thought it was a state secret that his clean up hitter was given the green light to swing away. Of course, the batter doubles into right center.

The only explanation is that all the number signals meant "hit double to right center."

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
We played a 10u team in South Carolina last year (they were from NC) who used them. It was the first time I had ever seen it. Thier coach said whenever another team figures out their signs he just changes the cards the next inning so they are all different. Made sense. Some of my kids still have issues with the signs (that or they know them and just don't want to do what I say - can't always be sure). We haven't tried it but I can't discount it may be a better way of communicating.

Dec 28, 2008
Can't expect to have girls think for themselves about the situation. Can't expect them to follow some difficult belly button touch and then ear touch signal. Sure can't expect that they will actually be able to read for long. So we probably need to create an "app for that" which will translate coaches thoughts into speech via tiny headsets. "Swing the bat sweetie on the first really good pitch you see."

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I got a sign for hit a double. I give the indicator and I hold up 2 fingers to my chest. A triple is 3 fingers. The girls always smile, and you should see them when they are on second yelling at me to give them the triple sign next time.

Mar 15, 2010
I got a sign for hit a double. I give the indicator and I hold up 2 fingers to my chest. A triple is 3 fingers. The girls always smile, and you should see them when they are on second yelling at me to give them the triple sign next time.

All these years I never knew I had to give signs to get doubles and triples. Next game I am going to every girl the HR sign. Let you know how it turns out.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma

I have noticed if I tell my DD to get me a double RBI, she does it. I have asked for a double and gotten it. Maybe it is time to ask for the homerun. LOL

Sep 3, 2009
We had some bad rain this past week, so the mosquitos were thick. In our friday night game, a couple of the girls couldn't figure out what sign the coach was giving, he's swatting the bugs off of him. Batters were like, HUH??

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy