Batters don't stand in the same place as each other in the Box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Batters don't stand in the same place as each other in the Box.

Got reasons?

Could put this in the hitting forum,
except
it has more than just hitting in its topic.

How come batters don't all stand in the same place in the Box?!
Does that make it harder on the pitcher?
Do you think there would be any greater or less Advantage for the pitcher if batters all stood in the same place in the Box?!
Would it help the umpire if batters all stood in the same place?!

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2014
USA
"Batters don't stand in the same place as each other in the Box."
Individual batters don't stand in the same place in the box often from pitcher to pitcher and even play cat and mouse games within an AB (moving closer to or farther from the plate). Not saying this is or isn't the right approach but it is happening.

I don't think it should matter to a decent umpire. Should all batters be the same height or width? Would that help them? ;-)

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Batters don't stand in the same place as each other in the Box.

Would it help the umpire if batters all stood in the same place?!

For the umpires view... of course. Less variables the better. Part of my routine before the pitch is looking to where and how the batter positions themselves to give me an idea of the strike zone level.

Batters and catchers who block the umpires view don't make calling balls and strikes any easier, but you just work around them. I want to see the pitcher releasing the ball and follow the pitch, and if the batter is hanging all over the plate and the catcher is blocking the inside slot, that is not easy. If I have to move my from my preferred eye-line and angle that I call probably 99% of pitches from, that is not going to be optimal for calling close pitches.

Apr 14, 2022
For the umpires view... of course. Less variables the better. Part of my routine before the pitch is looking to where and how the batter positions themselves to give me an idea of the strike zone level.

Batters and catchers who block the umpires view don't make calling balls and strikes any easier, but you just work around them. I want to see the pitcher releasing the ball and follow the pitch, and if the batter is hanging all over the plate and the catcher is blocking the inside slot, that is not easy. If I have to move my from my preferred eye-line and angle that I call probably 99% of pitches from, that is not going to be optimal for calling close pitches.
In your opinion does the blocked view favor the batter or the pitcher? I would think if you cannot see it as well it is more likely to be called a ball, but I could be wrong.

Aug 20, 2017
Depends on the pitchers tendencies. Does she run it in or like to work away? What’s her best pitch? Hitters should adjust based on that combined with the feeling of not having to reach for the ball or cheat to be on time

May 11, 2018
if my DD knows she is facing a good rise ball pitcher she goes back in the box and if she is facing a good drop ball pitcher she moves up in the box. this is what she is being taught by her coaches. she hits great and it seems to work for her.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Depends on the pitchers tendencies. Does she run it in or like to work away? What’s her best pitch? Hitters should adjust based on that combined with the feeling of not having to reach for the ball or cheat to be on time
Myself, never adjusted where I stood in the Box pending the pitchers tendancies.
However recognizing some others hitting mechanics, can understand why they would move around in the box.
Body position making up for lack of other swing necessities they cannot adjust to otherwise. Or rather,
their form of a pre-adjustment.
(A good defensive eye should note that!)

Jun 27, 2021
if my DD knows she is facing a good rise ball pitcher she goes back in the box and if she is facing a good drop ball pitcher she moves up in the box. this is what she is being taught by her coaches. she hits great and it seems to work for her.
What happens when a pitcher can throw either of those anytime?

May 4, 2014
So Cal
In an ideal world where batters were so good that pitch speed wouldn’t matter you would want all batters up on the box to take away as much movement on the ball as possible… but batters aren’t all the same size nor do they have the same reaction time, experience etc… they should setup in the box to maximize their strengths and minimize their weaknesses which may not be the same batter to batter or pitcher to pitcher…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812