Batters don't stand in the same place as each other in the Box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
In your opinion does the blocked view favor the batter or the pitcher? I would think if you cannot see it as well it is more likely to be called a ball, but I could be wrong.

IMO it favors the Batter - though I will say that is more if the catcher blocking than the batter. In general I can work around the batter since they can only get as close as the box allows them so you can move slightly in and get the view lane you need. Most of the time, the batters crowding the plate and only blocking the strike zone with their arms (which I also note pre-pitch in case they get hit in the zone).

If the catcher blocks my view of a really close pitch (and a LOT of bad ones will jump right into your vision ALL the time) so I don't see the ball despite every effort I make as it crosses the zone, then it is going to be a ball. Note: REALLY clos pitch that could go either way.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Except for extreme cases, I don't think any individual hitter should move around. What's an extreme case? We'll face HS pitchers who throw 30 mph. I'm fine with a batter moving up in the box then because it's so, so slow they have a really hard time waiting on it.

In all other cases, back of the box is objectively better because it gives the batter more time to see the ball, but I'm not necessarily going to force that on players if they're successful. And, of course, distance from the plate is often size dependent. I'll adjust players, especially newer players, if they're too close/too far, but not in some cookie cutter fashion.

Jul 1, 2019
DD, when pitching, will totally use a batters movement in the batters box against them. Crowd the plate, she's coming inside fast and hard. Back off the plate because of previous pitch, it's drop curve or something similar next. Another adjustment results in her changing her approach again. Forward and back she will adjust to as well though most stay middle to deep in the box on her. She typically feels that if she can get a batter moving around based on the previous pitch, the batter has lost at least some confidence in her ability to hit what she just threw. The batter has an expectation of what the next pitch will be, and she'll make sure you're wrong.

I'd only suggest starting position based on what you've seen so far prior to getting in the box, predominantly up ball pitcher start a little further back. Pitcher living on the outside, crowd a little. Flamethrower, start back. Etc. But moving around based on what was just thrown is giving the pitcher an advantage in my opinion, because unless you're proving that your unable to hit what was just thrown, chances are you aren't seeing it again the following pitch. Obviously this also comes down to a pitcher actually being able to locate and command multiple pitches.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
There is a difference to changing a spot in the Box and sticking with it,
Rather then fidgeting around changing location in the Box during their up at bat trying to beat a pitcher who is already in their head. Fidgeting around is assuming a guess and making a
pre-adjustment that could be completely wrong.

Especially a change that controls bat coverage through the zone.
Closer or farther to the plate. ↔️

Also Changes batters eyesight to the zone as well.

Super glad to have been a catcher that was allowed to call pitches my entire career and pay attention to what batters are doing. Very helpful nuances.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
re.todd22