applying riseball spin

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Question for the PCs or pitchers out there. When throwing a rise do you attempt to cut under the ball with the fingers and let the ball roll off with backspin or do you actually try to spin the ball with the fingers. The reason I ask is that DD's PC focuses on spinning the ball with the fingers. When I attempt to throw a rise the speed, location (accuracy to target) and direction of spin is much better when I attempt to cut under the ball than when I try to spin it. Granted I am a grown man and have much larger hands than DD (who is 13).

Thanks
PTC

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I think cutting under utilizes whip of the finger tips vs trying to make the ball spin with finger snap/twist.

Jun 19, 2013
PC had daughter work on spinning with fingers on her own for about 6 months before working on throwing pitch. And now when they work on throwing the pitch she uses the terminology of getting under the ball and using the whole hand with a big follow through . . . sounds like she feels both are important.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Hundreds teach and use the cues of snapping/twisting the ball with the thumb/fingers to get a spin. When I watch the instructional videos of folks teaching these cues, they don't seem to do at full speed what they've demonstrated with a stationary arm.

I've found I can get spin with finger tips only, more like what I've observed from these folks throwing full speed but watched in slow mo or frame-by-frame.

The snap/twist cues must work to some degree or they'd die away. I just think its possible to teach the spins as they'll be done at full speed.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
One thing I've speculated is that using the thumb with a stationary arm works in place of the inertia against the fingertips during full motion (when trying to get the feel of what the fingers need to do.)

Last edited:
Star, When I think spin with fingers its "ER" not "IR" like a screw. when I cut under its "IR" ball rolling off of top of pointer finger (actually side of pointer but fingers are pointed towards 3rd). Like Ken said I feel more whip. I also dont end up with a hitchhiker follow through or a Bill's #1 follow through.

PTC

Jul 26, 2010
Ah, I see. I don't equate finger movement to wrist movement, the two are independent of one another. When you say spin with fingers I'm thinking of the movement created by applying pressure between the fingers that snaps the ball into a spin, not opening a doorknob or unscrewing a jar. I guess we're talking about different things.

-W

I see what you mean I guess the way I think of it is on a roll over drop I can turn the door knob and have IR with the wrist. For the rise I just cant make my wrist IR and my fingers ER at the same time. I think the key here is more finger pressure than creating spin by snapping the fingers or turning the knob.

PTC

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy