Appeal of check swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 22, 2010
Does an appeal need to come from the catcher, coach or other defensive person or can the PU ask for help from the FU on his own?

Mar 13, 2010
I've always appealed it (as a pitcher) to the plate umpire. I've seen players throw it to the first base umpire, but I also know a lot of umpires who HAAAAAAAAATE that.

I have seen plate umpires throw it themselves, but that's rare.

May 7, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
Did 5 plate games this weekend in a tournament. I checked with my BU 2x by myself and had the coaches ask a couple of times.
Smart coaches will either ask the umpire or teach the catcher to ask for an appeal. A catcher who simply points to the BU without asking the PU should get no response.
Amazing on how many "coaches" don't know the proper appeal procedures and then get flustered when you won't grant the appeal.

Appeal Process:

1. Once all play has stopped, ask for time.
2. Go to the umpire who made the call and ask them what they saw.
3. If the umpire feels they needs more information from his partner they will call a conference.
4. After deliberation, the umpire that made the original call will confirm or overturn the call based on information learned during the conference.
5. Coach goes back to the dugout/bench area. (This can happen anywhere between 3-5)
6. Play ball.

Mar 13, 2010
Seriously? You would expect a coach to call time? For a check swing? I've never ever, ever called time on this. It's purely 'Did she go?' The umpire will either shake his head no, or flick to the first base umpire if he wants a second opinion.

May 7, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
I exempt a check swing appeal from my previous post - those should be simple enough. I should have been more clear in my post.
I was talking more about "normal" appeals like a pulled foot, missed tag, etc. Most coaches just start yelling and going on about the call, but they almost never ask the umpire who made the original call to ask for help. We as umpires don't have to ask for help, but it makes for a smoother conversation when you follow the process above.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Adding to what buckgeno said... the ump who's call it is to make, will always make the call. If it is a check swing, the plate ump will either call it a ball or a strike, based on the pitch location and whether he thinks the batter swung. If you think the batter swung, but the PU calls it a ball you can ask the plate ump if he would check with the BU to see if it was a swing, but he is the one who has to ask for help.

Alot of coaches don't understand the procedure because, if you watch MLB on TV, you will see a catcher point to 1st (or 3rd) while you don't see or hear them ask the PU to ask for help. If you watch, you will also notice the plate ump always point to the BU BEFORE the base ump makes an out (swing) or safe (no swing) signal. The BU's signal, if he signals strike, is then followed by the PU making the call.

Umpires don't overrule one another, but they can confer and convince one another to change a call.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Did 5 plate games this weekend in a tournament. I checked with my BU 2x by myself and had the coaches ask a couple of times.
Smart coaches will either ask the umpire or teach the catcher to ask for an appeal. A catcher who simply points to the BU without asking the PU should get no response.
Amazing on how many "coaches" don't know the proper appeal procedures and then get flustered when you won't grant the appeal.

Appeal Process:

1. Once all play has stopped, ask for time.
2. Go to the umpire who made the call and ask them what they saw.
3. If the umpire feels they needs more information from his partner they will call a conference.
4. After deliberation, the umpire that made the original call will confirm or overturn the call based on information learned during the conference.
5. Coach goes back to the dugout/bench area. (This can happen anywhere between 3-5)
6. Play ball.

Good summary, buckgeno. ...

Aside from balls and strikes, is it appropriate to ask an umpire for help on any call that a coach believes that the umpire missed? If not, when is it appopriate to ask, IYO?

Jul 26, 2010
I'm pretty sure that in a 2 umpire situation, if the BU is behind 1st base and there is a left handed batter, there is no appeal to the BU, the PU has the call if she swung or not. Same would be true if the BU was behind third and a RH batter was up. Anyone confirm this?

-W

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA