Appeal of check swing

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
I'm pretty sure that in a 2 umpire situation, if the BU is behind 1st base and there is a left handed batter, there is no appeal to the BU, the PU has the call if she swung or not. Same would be true if the BU was behind third and a RH batter was up. Anyone confirm this?

-W

That would be incorrect. PU can go for help any time with the FU in any position and makes no difference if the batter is left or right handed. In fact in college ball the PU is required to go for help if requested. If both umpires are on the line the PU will go to the umpire on 3rd for leftys and to 1st on rightys. But, if the umpires are rotated or counter rotated the mechanic is to go to the umpire who is on the line, and many times this umpire will be behind the batters.

Jun 22, 2010
There was actually a study some years ago . . . I can't find a link, but my memory is excellent; I can even remember things that never happened! :D

Anyway, this was baseball, but IIRC the study suggested that base umpires were just as accurate on judging half-swings from "behind" the batter as from "in front."

In any event, the base umpire should be SURE she saw a swing, or she should let the call stand, regardless of position.

May 27, 2008
Pace, FL
I exempt a check swing appeal from my previous post - those should be simple enough. I should have been more clear in my post.
I was talking more about "normal" appeals like a pulled foot, missed tag, etc. Most coaches just start yelling and going on about the call, but they almost never ask the umpire who made the original call to ask for help. We as umpires don't have to ask for help, but it makes for a smoother conversation when you follow the process above.

Buckgeno, you are an umpire. Please look up the definition of "appeal" in the rules book. Help us educate everyone by using "appeal" correctly. The situations you describe are not appeals, but rather requests by a coach for us to ask for additional information from our partner(s).

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Good summary, buckgeno. ...

Aside from balls and strikes, is it appropriate to ask an umpire for help on any call that a coach believes that the umpire missed? If not, when is it appopriate to ask, IYO?

I know that this is an old thread, but I wanted to respond specifically to this question:

First of all - the fact that you disagree with an umpires call IS NOT a valid reason to ask the umpire to get help from a partner.

What is a valid reason is if you see something that you think the umpire may not have, examoles being a pulled foot or a bobbled/dropped ball. After the play is over, ask for time, calmly approach the umpire that made the call, and say that you believe the fielder pulled her foot, bobbled the ball, etc., could you ask your partner for help? Keep in mind that the umpire is not required to do so, however. The umpires will either confer and make a ruling or the umpire that made the call will not go to his partner and the call will stand. Accept the result either way and move on with the game.

May 30, 2011
I exempt a check swing appeal from my previous post - those should be simple enough. I should have been more clear in my post.
I was talking more about "normal" appeals like a pulled foot, missed tag, etc. Most coaches just start yelling and going on about the call, but they almost never ask the umpire who made the original call to ask for help. We as umpires don't have to ask for help, but it makes for a smoother conversation when you follow the process above.

None of these things (checked swing, pulled foot, missed tag) are Appeal Plays.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA