Anyone play/coach in the Santa Monica Fastpitch League?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My oldest played against their 14u all-star team twice this past summer, once in pool play and once in a championship game. We lost both times. They were very gracious in victory and found them to be very nice in our limited interaction with them. I'm afraid I can't say more about them other than that, but thought I'd post something positive on their behalf. They do have a very competitive district to play in.

I would agree that there are some leagues in the LA/South Bay District that are pretty much always tough competition. However, that can probably be said of all the Districts in So Cal.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
Drive times to the valley will vary a lot, depending on what part of the west side you are talking about. In fact, drive times to Santa Monica from parts of the west side can take 30 minutes. If you have to get to the 405 from Brentwood during usual practice hours, forget it. If you are near the coast in the Palisades, you can make it to west valley in 35 minutes if there is normal traffic. Westlake about 40 minutes. If you are in Beverly Hills, you need to add 15-20 minutes to everything.
Westwood, you can jump on the 405 and do Encino league in about 30. Santa Monica has fielded some good teams in the 12u division recently. They have sponsored a few kids who cannot play travel, but are quite good players. If you want to share the neighborhood, I can give you drive tek so and shortcuts. I lived on the west side for 40 years.

Mar 21, 2013
Where is your daughter playing this season Nicelag? I guess like everyone says; if you want to play elsewhere you have to drive, and driving in SoCal is brutal! I used to live in Westwood, so I know who it works.

Eugene, remember that it depends on the division and all leagues cycle (up years and down years). Some cycles are more drastic than others, and I was speaking from our personal experience. I will also say that as stated they are one of the best teams we have played in terms of respect for the game and sportsmanship win or lose, always!

We live right next to Long Beach Heartwell, but choose to play at Los Alamitos for several reasons. Los Alamitos has a pretty good track record historically. Our cycles are pretty stable and we are always competitive. DD likes her friends and we like the parents...

Don't know what your plans are, but at 12 don't rule out travel ball either. A lot of very solid travel ball teams in So Cal. Some of the strongest and recruitable programs in the country...
Good luck.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2013
Santa Monica is in SoCal ASA's LA/South Bay District and competed in the "B" district tournament with Cerritos, Downey, El Segundo, La Mirada, Long Beach Heartwell, Los Altos, Manhattan Beach, Norwalk, Palos Verdes, Pico, San Pedro and Torrance. Their 12U team finished 3rd behind Cerritos and LB Heartwell. They went to SoCal ASA 'State' and finished tied for 13th.
- LASB 'B' District Tournament
- 2014 B State Championship

The "C" leagues in the district are/were Hawthorne, Montebello, North Torrance, Redondo Sunset and Wilshire (see Central / LA-Southbay "C" Districts).

Los Alamitos, if you are researching, is north Orange County and we play in the So Cal ASA Central district. A few state and national championships here too by the way with teams like Los Al, Cypress, Fountain Valley, West Grove, Huntington Beach etc.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Los Alamitos, if you are researching, is north Orange County and we play in the So Cal ASA Central district. A few state and national championships here too by the way with teams like Los Al, Cypress, Fountain Valley, West Grove, Huntington Beach etc.

Los Al is a perennial powerhouse league. Fountain Valley has been very strong in the last couple of years, too. I believe their 10U team did very well at Nats last Summer. However, that team has now gone to TB.

Aug 2, 2011
She plays travel ball now in Oregon, but I don't think there is a travel ball team in the West LA area. Santa Monica Fastpitch looks to be about all I can find.

Feb 7, 2013
She plays travel ball now in Oregon, but I don't think there is a travel ball team in the West LA area. Santa Monica Fastpitch looks to be about all I can find.

Posted on Heybucket in Sept:

12U Firecrackers (Halleen) based in Santa Monica:

Looking for strong Travelball players
Looking for a strong Catcher
A strong Pitcher
And Speedy athletic players
Give Coach Russ Halleen a call at 310-871-5725
email Rlhalleen@yahoo.com

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members