Anyone play/coach in the Santa Monica Fastpitch League?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2011
We are considering a move to W. Los Angeles. My daughter is a 12U catcher who loves to play competitive fastpitch. I don't want to drive far, so I am trying to find a good league for her if we make the move. The only league I can find is the Santa Monica Fastpitch League which looks interesting. I have never see players drawn from a pool. It sounds good on paper. Also, I was hoping to get away from a parent coach league, but it looks to be a parent coach league. Any input greatly appreciated!

Feb 7, 2013
Santa Monica is an average rec league program at best. I don't believe their all star teams make it too often to state or western nationals if that matters to you and your DD. West LA is not a hot bed for softball unfortunately. The better leagues are north in the valley, east or south to Orange County. With that said, if you are looking at travel ball programs, you can find numerous teams within 30 miles of the westside of LA were Santa Monica is located.

If you need more info feel free to PM me.

P.s. Pretty common here in rec league for players to be evaluated and ranked at tryouts and are picked in a player draft so in theory the best players are spread out evenly amongst the teams in each division. Some rec leagues will form "tournament teams" in fall and play other tournament teams (basically all star teams) and then in winter/spring play in their regular rec leagues until the end of spring when all star teams are picked. The all star season lasts from about mid-May until the first week in August in they qualified for Nationals.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2011
Thanks RT! It might work out for us pretty well if we make the move. I would like her to have top quality instruction, but that can be hit or miss anywhere. 30 miles away in LA can be like 100 miles away in small town. It could take 1.5 hours to drive that far especially if the 405 is involved. I am not going to go through that grind for softball.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
I agree with RT - it pretty much summarizes the leagues in So Cal.. most if not all are ASA and yes the leagues are stronger East, North, or South of Santa Monica but anything South or East would be brutal drive for you... North would be your only choice but that would likely be limited to Encino/Sherman Oaks (just over the hill on 405), West Valley (Further West you could cut through Muholland), and if you took PCH and cut through Malibu you would then hit WAGS (Westlake/Agoura Hills) - that is just 3 other options over Santa Monica.

Santa Monica I believe is a C league while most of the others North of you are B leagues - B leagues have bigger programs and can field stronger teams given the bigger pool of girls.

I have to say that EVERY team and player I have met from Santa Monica have been Class A - they may not field the strongest teams but their sportsmanship is A+ and the parents are extremely dedicated. Remember that C leagues are allowed to play down in All Star tournaments so their Gold Team can play in Silver if they wish (and keep it competitive)

I would give the Santa Monica league a chance and spend the time saved in the driving working 1:1 with your DD.. the other leagues arent going anywhere soon and you could always try them out if Santa Monica doesnt work. You would have to get out of rec leagues to get out of parent coach - all rec leagues here are pretty much parent coached... even the travel ball teams have a lot of parent coaches.. less so there of course

As far as private instruction you do have a LOT of options - there are a lot of qualified instructors within 30 miles of your area - again best bet is to ask Santa Monica league who is closest to you

May 24, 2013
So Cal
"30 miles from the Westside of LA"...Be aware, this could easily be a 1-2 hour drive at certain times of the day.

Mar 21, 2013
My DD played Santa Monica in all-stars this past spring, and to put it kindly it was painful. Very painful! We are a B league and I would say that they might be somewhat competitive in a C league. Sorry Santa Monica but they asked. I know you can only play the hand you are dealt.

Aug 2, 2011
Where is your daughter playing this season Nicelag? I guess like everyone says; if you want to play elsewhere you have to drive, and driving in SoCal is brutal! I used to live in Westwood, so I know who it works.

Mar 26, 2013
Santa Monica is in SoCal ASA's LA/South Bay District and competed in the "B" district tournament with Cerritos, Downey, El Segundo, La Mirada, Long Beach Heartwell, Los Altos, Manhattan Beach, Norwalk, Palos Verdes, Pico, San Pedro and Torrance. Their 12U team finished 3rd behind Cerritos and LB Heartwell. They went to SoCal ASA 'State' and finished tied for 13th.
- LASB 'B' District Tournament
- 2014 B State Championship

The "C" leagues in the district are/were Hawthorne, Montebello, North Torrance, Redondo Sunset and Wilshire (see Central / LA-Southbay "C" Districts).

Jun 20, 2012
SoCal
My oldest played against their 14u all-star team twice this past summer, once in pool play and once in a championship game. We lost both times. They were very gracious in victory and found them to be very nice in our limited interaction with them. I'm afraid I can't say more about them other than that, but thought I'd post something positive on their behalf. They do have a very competitive district to play in.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad