Anyone know of any good point of contact drills.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 3, 2021
Not getting a clear look from the videos. Are you feeling she is late to get started or hitting balls that should be to left or center field due to her swing?

Aug 20, 2017
I love hitters that let it get deep. Is her timing good? Do you think letting it get deep is causing issues or are you just searching for more pop?

May 12, 2014
Not getting a clear look from the videos. Are you feeling she is late to get started or hitting balls that should be to left or center field due to her swing?
Sorry, I’ll try to find some practice videos to get a better angle. But, all of her hits are to right Center or right. Just assumed she’s late. Maybe she has an inside out swing type of thing?

May 12, 2014
I love hitters that let it get deep. Is her timing good? Do you think letting it get deep is causing issues or are you just searching for more pop?
Searching for more pop. She definitely lets it travel. Sometimes too much and then she’ll pound it into the ground. She has four HRs but most of her hard hits are what you see in the video.
When she tries to “hit it out front “ she tends to hit weak ground balls to 3rd or a bloop type hit over short.

Aug 20, 2017
Searching for more pop. She definitely lets it travel. Sometimes too much and then she’ll pound it into the ground. She has four HRs but most of her hard hits are what you see in the video.
When she tries to “hit it out front “ she tends to hit weak ground balls to 3rd or a bloop type hit over short.
Sounds to me like she reaches when she tries to hit it out front, due to being too early, and most likely running out of barrel causing her to hit it off the end of the bat. Her bat path looks pretty good to me. “Don’t take a .400 hitter and make them a .200 hitter” always applies! The ability to be “on time” while also allowing the ball to get deep, is something nearly every hitting coach is searching for. Maybe others have some simple mental ques other than “hit it out front”. I hate that que.

May 12, 2014
Sounds to me like she reaches when she tries to hit it out front, due to being too early, and most likely running out of barrel causing her to hit it off the end of the bat. Her bat path looks pretty good to me. “Don’t take a .400 hitter and make them a .200 hitter” always applies! The ability to be “on time” while also allowing the ball to get deep, is something nearly every hitting coach is searching for. Maybe others have some simple mental ques other than “hit it out front”. I hate that que.

That’s exactly what happens. She’s almost straight armed at contact when people tell her to get it out front. She looks uncomfortable.
Should we just continue to work on increasing bat speed, etc. She does tend to be front side dominant. Trying to work on that.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

trifecta!(inside joke w myself!) there is no initial separation. I think a sequential change will pay big dividends.

I use a few different drills to get this done. all depends on whatever sticks w the kid best. What she’s missing is the first moment of separation.

you need to make the hands create more stretch so they can plane deeper and create deeper acceleration via the core(obliques). Then the barrel will have a chance to get loaded. You basically need a core stretch in both directions.

this will also balance the move better and the frontside dominant landing position should disappear.

I use a tip drill w the hands gathering the swing. The hands will gather the body and drift back ever so slightly creating separation.

or a more deliberate move where the hands drift back from the midline and gather the swing.

the back leg will get weighted. The forward move occurs while the hands still drift back a bit. this helps one to stay ‘back’.

Aug 20, 2017
That’s exactly what happens. She’s almost straight armed at contact when people tell her to get it out front. She looks uncomfortable.
Should we just continue to work on increasing bat speed, etc. She does tend to be front side dominant. Trying to work on that.
This is what happens! It’s due to being early and coming out posture. The hitter straightens arms out to try prevent running out of barrel due to head coming up and barrel going left. I’ve had hitters do this that will slow the barrel down to keep from swinging and missing early.
I think she can get some more pop from controlling her stride more with the rear leg and starting a little sooner. She will still need to let the ball get deep but I think controlling more with the back leg will create a more explosive swing. JMO

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying