14U Swing Thoughts/Suggestions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
Please explain deep tee.

Lead arm adduction (which is the lead arm draped across the chest) can be way over done trapping the hands behind center line and lead to bat drag. IMO, most young ladies need to reduce lead arm adduction and (feel) keep their hands more in front of their body. All player will produce some adduction without it being taught.

Opening up before swing launch causes drag imo. We can go deeper into that if you want. Just post an example of a drag swing and I’ll try to point out the flaw.

Deep tee is player specific. Due to ROM. Set the tee up as deep as possible in all locations and try to hit low line drives to each field due to tee location.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
My imo observation

• Back elbow loading as front toe taps the ground
  • Hips accelerate forward as front heel heads to the ground after toe touch
  • Back elbow comes down following the rotation of the hips

Agreed.

My interpretation of these.

• load late

• oblique stretch

• hands are controlling launch

May 21, 2018
Agreed.

My interpretation of these.

• load late

• oblique stretch

• hands are controlling launch
I don't understand what you mean by 'hands are controlling the launch'. The hands hold onto the bat and are along for the ride. Are you talking about intent? Like saying your body will react to getting the hands where they need to be? Or something like that?

Sep 22, 2021
Sioux Falls, SD
Information overload here. I would just recommend finding a good instructor for about a couple weeks and let them do work...otherwise you may end up overthinking the whole situation trying to implement 10 different things. Start with the basics and work out.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Not really swinging the foot down.LOL

Looks like an adjustment to me. Usually the back leg will turn more while the pelvis is still turned into the back leg. Hips/pelvis still turned in, upper stretch against the lower.

When does the back leg begin to turn?

Last edited:
May 27, 2022
Please explain deep tee.

Lead arm adduction (which is the lead arm draped across the chest) can be way over done trapping the hands behind center line and lead to bat drag. IMO, most young ladies need to reduce lead arm adduction and (feel) keep their hands more in front of their body. All player will produce some adduction without it being taught.

Totally agree. I think that young rec league elementary hitters tend to use the torsion of their body with the arm bar to whip the bat around. When they get stronger (7/8th grade) I try to get them to use their arms to keep the knob of the bat synced with their torso rotation.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478