14U Swing Thoughts/Suggestions

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2019
View attachment 27346

See how the chest gets down and back and stays there even after the hands have initiated launch? Important.

What isn’t spoke about enough is how the hands open the hips as well. It’s all synced. Not forced.
Yes, that definitely helps. Can you review this and let me know what I need to do differently or am on the right path? I'm Teaching (these are obviously not my terms)

• Good posture and thoracic tilt (shoulders over toes using your hip hinge)
  • Loading in back hip/leg by coiling and sinking (activate glutes). Fron leg should stabilize, allowing the body to rotate without the front foot spinning.
  • Leg kick for timing, landing with an open toe (30-50 degrees)
  • As front heal lands and front glute activates, back heal lifts and back femur rotates forward, with hip rotating right behind it, creating hip and shoulder separation.
  • Barrel tip to shoulder connection (led by the bottom hand arm)
  • Barrel turn with shoulders, knob follows and replaces the bottom hand elbow. Shoulders catch up to hips, at an angle required to hit the pitch height.
  • On a middle pitch, once the bottom hand elbow and knob are pointed at the pitcher (bat is flat and in lag, pointing directly backwards), the hands release the barrel from the shoulder to the ball.
  • Body continues to rotate through the swing and barrel extension.
Thanks in advance for your expertise and time

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Yes, that definitely helps. Can you review this and let me know what I need to do differently or am on the right path? I'm Teaching (these are obviously not my terms)

• Loading in back hip/leg by coiling and sinking (activate glutes). Fron leg should stabilize, allowing the body to rotate without the front foot spinning.
  • As front heal lands and front glute activates, back heal lifts and back femur rotates forward, with hip rotating right behind it, creating hip and shoulder separation.
  • Barrel turn with shoulders, knob follows and replaces the bottom hand elbow. Shoulders catch up to hips, at an angle required to hit the pitch height.
  • On a middle pitch, once the bottom hand elbow and knob are pointed at the pitcher (bat is flat and in lag, pointing directly backwards), the hands release the barrel from the shoulder to the ball.

Do you believe in all of these?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

This is very detailed. I think there are a few absolutes like posture, sequence and hand function/speed. I think you should ‘throw’ the bat head. W the top hand. I prefer a deep lead arm. I think if you train deep tee; movements start to show up. For me the hips and legs are reactive mostly if the load and posture are right.

Where most go wrong is a timing of the turn which I think lead arm adduction helps tremendously. Which is a time based sequential thing.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
@Fury_Mike For me kinetically I am hand-centric. But kinematically I want the hips to lead the hands. I truly think the hands create that force couple. Not the legs or hips etc. a delay like a rubber band.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
This is very detailed. I think there are a few absolutes like posture, sequence and hand function/speed. I think you should ‘throw’ the bat head. W the top hand. I prefer a deep lead arm. I think if you train deep tee; movements start to show up. For me the hips and legs are reactive mostly if the load and posture are right.

Where most go wrong is a timing of the turn which I think lead arm adduction helps tremendously. Which is a time based sequential thing.
Please explain deep tee.

Lead arm adduction (which is the lead arm draped across the chest) can be way over done trapping the hands behind center line and lead to bat drag. IMO, most young ladies need to reduce lead arm adduction and (feel) keep their hands more in front of their body. All player will produce some adduction without it being taught.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802