Any changes in umpire strike zones from behind pitcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 13, 2019
First time poster, please be gentle.

How have umpire strike zones changed this season, if at all, while calling from behind the pitcher?

My observations, from only 2 games (12u):
- Not as many low strikes. I assume they're judging based more on where the ball reaches the catcher (not crossing plate).
- However, they don't seem to be giving higher strikes. If the angle from behind the pitcher is causing fewer low strikes, I'd think this would conversely result in more calls at the top of the zone. So far, though, high strikes are being called the same as from behind the catcher.
- I haven't noticed a difference on inside/outside calls, depending on which side of the pitcher the umpire stands.

I suppose this has implications for pitchers who work the bottom of the zone, especially with Drops.

This topic was in another thread in June, but I'd appreciate more feedback now that the season has progressed.

Jul 29, 2016
We still have umps behind the catcher. I'd be interested to hear how framing is impacted. It would seem to me that an umpire behind the pitcher would be less likely to be influenced by a well-framed ball.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Good to acknowledge the umpire is calling pitches in an area called the strike zone.
It is NOT going to be consistant from umpire to umpire.
Key words 'AN AREA' ;)

imo
YES umpires /people are influenced by framing.
( how framing is applied then becomes an important part of this outcome)
Watch again and again how people get irratated thinking the blue is favoring one team over the other.
Many times its how the catcher is set up.
+ Catchers framing technique!

Another wonderful aspect is how pitchers will prefer certain catchers!
Can inspire confidence!

GO BATTERY !!!

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2019
Thanks so far, all.
To clarify, I'm not trying to judge the "accuracy" of umpire calls.
I'd like to identify common trends (changes), and consider how (my team's) pitchers may adapt.
To the extent that we can stay on the topic of umpire tendencies, I'd appreciate that most.

Thank you again.

Feb 10, 2018
NoVA
I think I may have started the previous post. We've probably played 15 or 20 games by now with the umpire standing behind the circle, roughly 50 ft away. I spoke to one of the umpires we had about what they thought was different or challenging to them. Without hesitation they said calling high and low. Depending on where they set up behind the pitcher, I think calling the outside corner is also tough. After struggling for a game or two with the way the zone was being called, my DD has adjusted pretty well. It is frustrating though because she is a down ball pitcher and the ump is often calling the drop where he sees the catcher glove it rather than where it crossed and was still a strike.

My DD also steps out several inches to throw a screwball. I've had an ump effectively take that pitch away from us by calling her illegal (despite there being no lines framing the edges of the pitching rubber). In talking to him about it, he said it is much easier to see borderline illegal pitches like that from behind and that maybe only 2 or 3 umps out of 10 would call illegal from behind the plate. We guest played in a tournament this past weekend (ump behind plate) and threw the screwball a lot. Never had it called illegal once. We're going to work on adjusting her starting position for all her pitches on the rubber to hopefully eliminate the risk of IP on the screw.

May 23, 2015
Umpires change the strike zone based on their belief. Well this is travel, so the strike zone is tighter..... shut up and call by the rule book. Nothing more nothing less

Framing is silly talk. A catcher that receives balls effortlessly will get more grace than a jerky one. If an ump is calling based on framing they should quit

Oct 13, 2019
Traps71: Interesting - very similar to what I'm seeing.

Depending on where they set up behind the pitcher, I think calling the outside corner is also tough.

In which situation have you most often got the outside call?
Umpire on [left/right] of the pitcher, throwing a [curve/screw] to a [lefty/righty]

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles