Antsy-Should We Be Doing More?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 5, 2009
NE Kansas
At 14 and whether your daughter is a pitcher or not, you should consider reading the drive mechanics thread in the pitching forum if for no other reason than learning exercises and workouts to prevent injury to her body while she is playing. There is a wealth of good stuff in there for girls and prevention of injuries. Then get her going on an exercise training program of some sort. Drive thread has some great ones of those also. Definitely recommend. There is a lot more athleticism required in the game than just throwing and catching the ball at higher levels.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
First practice for my team is today. Tryouts ended a month ago. I'm a firm believer is down time. It's good for the body and the mind. The neat thing is that these girls are just itching to get out on the field after their break, where a lot of times they dread going out right away.

Feb 7, 2013
DD former pitching coach said that for every week a pitcher takes off, it's take at least a week to get back to where you were before the time off. I think there is a lot of wisdom in that statement.

At the 12u/14u level I have seen several local pitchers with shoulder injuries and stress fractures in their backs. A few from pitchers who took a lot of time off and then over did it trying to get in game ready shape, quickly. I much prefer a steady and reasonable routine throughout the year instead of long stretches of downtime. I also try to limit pitching practice to every, other day and only for 30-40mins at a time. So far, so good for 13YO who has pitched for 6 years now injury free.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
DD former pitching coach said that for every week a pitcher takes off, it's take at least a week to get back to where you were before the time off. I think there is a lot of wisdom in that statement.

At the 12u/14u level I have seen several local pitchers with shoulder injuries and stress fractures in their backs. A few from pitchers who took a lot of time off and then over did it trying to get in game ready shape, quickly. I much prefer a steady and reasonable routine throughout the year instead of long stretches of downtime. I also try to limit pitching practice to every, other day and only for 30-40mins at a time. So far, so good for 13YO who has pitched for 6 years now injury free.

Based on my experience, I have reservations that the approach will be similarly sustainable and successful for the next 6 years. Hoping your mileage varies!

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I'd be interested to hear other's experiences with time off and how it affected pitchers. DD has taken up to two weeks off a few times the last couple of years when we were on vacation and each time I think she came back into shape within 2 practices. She is in the middle of a 4 week break right now, I am interested to see how she comes out of it.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
GM, How so?

IME/IMO not taking at least one extended period away from SB annually leads to a greater risk of mental burnout and/or physical injury. Not advocating couch potatoing as a preferred alternative, but rather some physical activity to keep in shape while giving the body a chance to rest and recover from SB-specific movements. IME, as our DDs grow and physically mature they get bigger and stronger and create more torque and stress while throwing, pitching, and hitting and, IMO, need more time to physically recover than when they were younger and physically immature. The little bumps, bruises, twists, strains, and pulls add up over time and trend toward becoming chronic issues. This will be DD's senior year in college and I believe that the odds are pretty good she will top her current personal best of 5 post-game ice packs!

Oct 10, 2011
If I recall correctly, Jaeger suggests at least 10 days off after the season before starting his long toss program but could be much longer depending on the player/situation to let the body heal.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I'd be interested to hear other's experiences with time off and how it affected pitchers. DD has taken up to two weeks off a few times the last couple of years when we were on vacation and each time I think she came back into shape within 2 practices. She is in the middle of a 4 week break right now, I am interested to see how she comes out of it.

My dd was the queen of time off. Last year she finished travel in August and didn't pick up a softball until late January. The year before it was early January. The year before it was December... Did she miss out on learning a bunch of new pitches, yep. Did she wind up with her #1 pitchers spot every year, yep. Didn't lose anything at the plate either.

She didn't sit around during her breaks either, she played Varsity volleyball and V Basketball during that time.

I will take with a grain of salt any paid coach who tells a kid that a week off from buying my lessons puts you back a week. I also would not recommend being a couch potato for 5 months and then trying to go full bore.

Every kid is different, some pitchers are good not due to athletic ability but by sheer repetition and routine. Others its the ability and the repetition would drive them away. Its the great pitcher who has the ability and the need to work her rear off.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think the logic is that it takes a few sessions or more to get back to where they were, what if they kept working wouldn’t they be better? I think No.

DD does not forget how to pitch, catch or hit the ball.

I appreciate the players that work their A** off all year but I think pitching 52 weeks a year hurts them more then helps them, I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan