Antsy-Should We Be Doing More?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 16, 2015
After an exhaustive nearly 6 consecutive days of tryouts (for 2 teams, made both, chose team of her dreams) 3 weeks ago, we are just waiting for practices to start. HC will commence practice after school has started and routine has taken hold, so probably not for another 2 weeks. DD has been off from SB all this time, and it's probably good downtime for her, but I just feel like we're in a holding pattern. Would you be doing anything in the meantime? Grounders, pitching, etc? Running? I'm super-antsy for play to get going, and probably should just chill out, but I'm thinking we should be doing *something*.

Feb 7, 2013
If she hasn't picked up a softball in 3 weeks and her team doesn't practice for another 2 weeks, I would definitely do some pitching 3X a week and some hitting. Pitchers need to pitch regularly, almost year-round to stay in shape and to stay competitive with her travel ball peers vying for playing time once the team starts up. Also, the off-season is a great time for pitchers to learn and experiment with new pitches. If not now, when?

Feb 7, 2013
I like your coach already. :)

That's an interesting comment and her situation is the exact opposite of ours. DD tried out on a Saturday, was notified on Sunday that she made the team, they had their first practice two days later (Tuesday).

Oct 10, 2011
It just feels weird to me if DD doesn't do anything to improve during a break. She took a week off softball but worked out really hard in the gym, went swimming etc... Then eased in with short practices etc...

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
It's probably better you don't do anything and let her recover. I don't know the age group you play but I see DD icing a lot more during the summer in 18U. Strains happen and they don't get a chance to fully heal during the season and little Suzie is just waiting for her chance so kids play on. As much as I'd like DD to do something I know she really needed this time to rest a couple of areas.

Oct 31, 2014
Kansas City
If she's a pitcher (which seems like you're saying that), the 3 weeks off are ok but I'd get her pitching again. Even during down times she could be doing warmups, playing catch, etc. I often find that when practices and tournaments (fall or spring) get into full swing its hard to find the time or the energy to also get to pitching instructor, so down time is also a good time to get in some sessions with instructor. But like someone else said, if she is going to pitch, she can be working it year round (even if playing another sport for a season).

Also, tee work for batting is pretty low impact and can be an easy way to keep in hitting shape.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Rest the body and rest the mind and chances are better that she'll still want to, and physically be able to, play softball years down the road.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It would have been OK if they started practice a couple weeks OK but starting school is a big change from the summer and letting kids get into their school routine seems like a good idea.

I am sure the coach has the time but decided it was a good idea to give everyone a break. I would be OK with a weekend practice but shutting down for 5 weeks seems like a good idea to me.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06