another mask question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2012
firstly read the goindeep thread, glad to hear DD is doing well.

I have questions from another point of view. Not if wear a mask, but is a mask sufficient? In this case, I am concerned about my 12U DD. She will be potentially pitching for her tournament team this summer, and I am frankly concerned about her reaction time. I know there are cases where no one has time to react, but in her case, I am concerned even more.

She has the youth Rip it mask. Is this sufficient protection at the 12u level?
Chest guard? throat guard? what to people say about these?
Also DD wears glasses, is there an issue with additional protection needed with the glasses? (she does not see as well with her sports goggles)

thanks all

I would rather educate myself more on this now, then be sorry late.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Softball is a non-contact sport so everything will be OK, good luck with that. When you step on the field there is a chance they are going to get hurt and maybe a visit to the IR. We have only had one visit in DD’s short career. (edit: she broke her hand, there is no safety equipment available that would have prevented it)

Nothing wrong with wearing one of these:

Evoshield Baseball Heart Guard-MLB Authentic Baseball Chest and Back Protector

no one will even now she has it on. If it gives you comfort and her confidence great.

You cannot send your DD out there in a set of plate mail but you can protect her vital parts. There still might be a trip to the IR.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
Does the youth size still fit her? Take a ball and see if it can potentially hit her forehead.

Infielders have gotten away from wearing sliding pads. I don't know why. I always wore them and while my teammates were icing bone bruises, I was wondering why they don't wear pads.

I am going to look at Evoshield, too.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I second Quincy's recommendation of the Evo shield heart guard. You may also want to see if your DD would consider putting some soccer shin guards underneather her socks - my DD has taken several 'hot shots' off her shins. They would also help her in the batters box!!!

Oct 2, 2012
One of the pitchers on my daughters team just got contacts so she didn't have her glasses to contend with. She had trouble with a mask and glasses. She's 12.

Dec 12, 2012
My dd switched from glasses to contacts mainly for sports. It was a great decision for us. My 10yo pitcher wears a mask (schutt youth size), and a pull over heart guard shirt (Rawlings zoombang and McDavid Hex are her faves). We recently got her evoshield shin guards. At 35', she was taking a few back to the shins, and we think these will help.

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
Up until the end of 12U my DD only wore the mask. We were in Disney for the USSSA World Series and she caught a screamer back at her and right then I said "time for the evo shield" and I'm so glad. We are in our first year of 14U and the difference in the hitters is amazing! I feel much better with her standing out there wearing a mask and a evoshield, if she never ever needs it, it was money well spent.

May 22, 2012
My dd switched from glasses to contacts mainly for sports. It was a great decision for us. My 10yo pitcher wears a mask (schutt youth size), and a pull over heart guard shirt (Rawlings zoombang and McDavid Hex are her faves). We recently got her evoshield shin guards. At 35', she was taking a few back to the shins, and we think these will help.

sweet, the Rawlings zoombang is much less expensive I noticed. Does it offer the same protection as the evoshield?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd