Another great story of softbal sportsmanship

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
A friend of mine turned me on to this story today. I think it's one that everyone involved in our sport of fastpitch softball should read, because it's both a positive message and the epitome of what sports can be when we take egos out of it.

The basic story is about a top-level high school softball team that had a game scheduled against an underprivileged school that was just starting a softball program. It had all the makings of a horrible blowout. But instead, the coach of the top-level school made a decision to take it in another direction. I don't want to say more because I don't want to give away such a heartwarming story. But it's definitely worth a read.

Here in the Northern suburbs of Chicago there's a team that's very similar to the have-nots. They have very little budget, the families can't afford good equipment or private lessons, and most of the girls have never played fastpitch softball before they step onto the varsity field. Most games end with them being run ruled by a huge score in the minimum amount of innings. Several area coaches use those games to help their kids pad their stats, and they proudly report the scores and how they got there as if it was a great accomplishment.

I hope some of our local high school coaches read this story and get an idea of something else they can do the next time their team meets the have-nots. The whole sport would be better for it.

More...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck