Another change-up question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 12, 2009
My daughter is trying to throw the horseshoe change that I believe BM teaches a lot. Should this pitch be released at the hip and you physically pull the hand/forearm up towards the throwing shoulder or should your arm reach it's end out in front (not so high as to cause the pitch to be too high) so that the ball comes out of the hand with no momentum from whip and the forearm and hand snap up on their own from running out of length? I've heard it should be released like you are dropping a cup or bottle but I'm not quite clear on where it should be released. It seems like it would be best to keep the ball gripped until the arm runs out of length but all input is appreciated. I hope this is understandable.

May 17, 2012
Released at the hip; visualize that you are throwing it underneath your kitchen table. Now depending on your daughters speed she may need to angle the pitch upwards to get the required distance. As she gets faster the hump will flatten out.

Throw your fastball fast and throw your change-up even faster.

Mar 12, 2009
Oh, I definitely stress the change-up to be faster but keeping the arm speed up is the hardest thing for most pitchers I've seen.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Under the table baby!!!!
Speed up the arm circle and scrunch up the face to really sell the heat. The release is as close to the hip as possible. Just rotate the arm early to induce a push. I will also refer to this style as a hand shake, because the hand is releasing the ball in a similar manner as reaching out to shake hands with someone.

Mar 12, 2009
It seems like trying to release it at the hip could lead to you pulling up with the ball still in the hand or should you even be trying to pull the hand/forearm up? It seems like I remember BM saying to pull up towards the throwing arm shoulder.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
boy does he ever have it wrong....look at his hand motion as he demonstrates at the 3:40 mark. Does that look anything like a pitch you would throw? What is a push change anyway? Phil's demos are better than some, but there are information landmines in his demos that are pretty bad.

look at the end of the clip for a comedic interlude of him pitching and just going of the rails as far as credibility goes.

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
seriously....I can't stop laughing now. I keep watching this and chuckling at him saying "my mechanics don't change" while he slows down his arm circle and does a little upward jig move at the end. and during his full motion he does the I/R equivalent of a tack on HE move. He pushes the ball and then well after release artificially rolls his hand over to look like an I/R finish.

This is soooo bad. I have always cut Phil some slack, but he needs to take this demo off the web.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA