Another 10u to evaluate

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2012
Missouri
I'm looking for any advice for my 10 year old daughter that could help keep her going in the right direction with her pitching. She learned how to pitch less than a year ago and I personally think she's come a long way in a short time. She doesn't really have anything to push off of in this video, and she says she really relies heavily on the pitching rubber as a good push off point. She was looking at this video with me and said her shoulders aren't supposed to be so open on her back swing and that she should get a longer stride out.

And....now I can't get the video to upload. Is there a secret to this?

Dec 3, 2012
Missouri
[video]https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=4502455597312&set=vb.1168134012&type=2&theater[/video]

I'm trying everything I can think of here to get it to load....

Dec 3, 2012
Missouri
Ok, I think that link worked. Any advice would be appreciated. Be gentle...she's just 10 and has only been at this for 8 or 9 months, but she has the drive and the desire to want to be one of the best pitchers out there.

Thanks again!

Nov 11, 2012
advice

I work with a lot of pitchers, she has got a lot of potential. She doesn't have a open position in her motion. It should start closed then open (release) and close. Would love to discuss further. Email me your contact info. aaron.recklesssports@gmail.com

May 7, 2008
Tucson
She looks pretty normal for a young lady with her amount of experience. Now,the work begins. I don't think that she is balanced. I would want her posture back more. So, I would assign her about 25 stork drills a day. Also, I would limit the pre-motion. It is working her shoulders, too much. I would have her put the ball in front of her, with the hands together and then, pitch - w/o the "up and back" and pitch. There is just too much going wrong, and it doesn't make you pitch faster.

Encourage her to take some time between her pitches. She needs to "see" the pitch before she throws. She has 20 seconds and she is using about 3. :)

Also, do a lot of Power Ks. I want to stress shoulders. Her glove side should be doing very little and it seems like she is just working the heck out of both shoulders.

Things I want to say to her "relax" "loosen up" "flow" "don't push the ball" "smile" "have fun".

Let us know what other questions, you might have.

Dec 3, 2012
Missouri
Encourage her to take some time between her pitches. She needs to "see" the pitch before she throws. She has 20 seconds and she is using about 3. :)

She normally does take her time between pitches. She was a little more rushed in this video because we were doing an online analysis with a pitching instructor and he told us to get these three angles and the video should easily be less than 30 seconds....so she just went through three pitches very quickly.

The biggest thing I notice as abrisley already pointed out is that she is not open at all. Look at all those pictures of Jennie Finch if you have the right glove she might even be on it. She never gets in that position where she is open completely for release this is causing her to throw around her hip and consequently you will see her glove hand swim out away from her body to help her maintain some balance. I would encourage you to watch as many videos as you can about pitching fastpitch.tv can be a great resource but I want to caution you while you can listen to what they are saying never take that as gospel watch much more closely when they are actually pitching full speed not just a drill and slow down the video to see exactly how they are pitching NOT how they are telling you they are pitching. She is correct that she needs to stride more but some of that could be from being on a gym floor versus dirt.

Keep up the good work she looks pretty good for her experience level and keep coming here for help it is a great resource you can also look at some older thread for some good pitching advice.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2012
Missouri
Open position1.jpgOpen position2.jpg

Isn't she in the open position in these pictures? These were taken during a tournament game where she was a little more relaxed and not so rushed. But also, when I stop the video on the 5 second mark, she looks like she is in the open position there, too. (or maybe I never understood exactly what the open position was in the first place)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am afraid that what you sent this person to evaluate, isn't how she really pitches at all. Was there a fee for the evaluation?

If you can get outside, take some new video. I am betting we see a different girl.

Think I'm with Amy I would not have guessed they were the same girl in the video she never looks like either of those pictures.

Gym floors are hard because I they push of and stretch like they are supposed to they can either slide on the floor or stick depending on what kind of shoes she is wearing and how clean the floor is, upon looking at pictures and video also looks like she is throwing about 3/4 speed in video compared to pictures where she looks like she has a much more powerful delivery.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd