And now the youngest daughter......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 8, 2010
FFS, IMO I would disagree with this. Bonds had a very unique handset in that his loading was much lower than most any other hitter I've seen - to me he's already beginning to turn the barrel in the GIF above. Casedawg's dd IMO never seems to get to where Bonds was at prior to these frames, which would have been an internally rotated rear arm from a good scap load/resistance.

For me, it's impossible to externally rotate my rear arm and get good - or any for that matter - scap loading when I swing. I see her hands going up from just lifting them, not from any stretch/resistance.
I understand the debate but at 9 years old I think it is close enough for now. We have bigger fish to fry and I don't think I could explain the difference to her anyway. The trick will be to get her to replicate this move every time. When that front heel plants is what I am going to concentrate on in the immediate future. She actually listens and attempts to incorporate things more than her bigger sisters, so any tips are welcome and I will file them away and tackle them in going forward. Really the main thing she lacks is innate explosiveness. Not sure how to overhaul that except give her and nature time. SHe has the mind and drive.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
FFS, IMO I would disagree with this. Bonds had a very unique handset in that his loading was much lower than most any other hitter I've seen - to me he's already beginning to turn the barrel in the GIF above. Casedawg's dd IMO never seems to get to where Bonds was at prior to these frames, which would have been an internally rotated rear arm from a good scap load/resistance.

For me, it's impossible to externally rotate my rear arm and get good - or any for that matter - scap loading when I swing. I see her hands going up from just lifting them, not from any stretch/resistance.
Why would you intentionally/purposefully want to load your scap? In professional ballplayers, the scap GETS loaded while the hands are caught up in a state of resistance.

In addition, I've seen the type of scap loading/clamping that you aspire to achieve. In all honesty, I'm not opposed to that in the overhand throw, but hitting is an underhand activity. Your bow/flex/bow vid of Mike Mussina does not scale... That's a fact, and these theories should not be propagated on the fine folks here without that full understanding.

MussinaspineMatt.gif

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Yeah, pitchers move down-hill with the front shoulder up and the rear shoulder down. Scap pinch keeps that rear side down-in loaded, and then the shoulders reverse.

Hitters stride with the front shoulder down-in and they fight to keep that front down-in. Why would you apply the same scap load clamp to a totally different movement? Did you buy into that old voodoo theory years ago?

Aug 28, 2013
Why would you intentionally/purposefully want to load your scap? IMO, In professional ballplayers, the scap GETS loaded while the hands are caught up in a state of resistance.

In addition, I've seen the type of scap loading/clamping that you aspire to achieve. In all honesty, I'm not opposed to that in the overhand throw, but hitting is an underhand activity. Your bow/flex/bow vid of Mike Mussina does not scale... That's a fact, and these theories should not be propagated on the fine folks here without that full understanding.

MussinaspineMatt.gif

You stated that as a fact by the way so I fixed it for you, unless of course you've talked with every single professional ball player out there. You can teach the scap gets loaded, to me it makes more sense to teach TO load it. Either way it's taking out slack which is the ultimate goal.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
You stated that as a fact by the way so I fixed it for you, unless of course you've talked with every single professional ball player out there. You can teach the scap gets loaded, to me it makes more sense to teach TO load it. Either way it's taking out slack which is the ultimate goal.
The "ultimate goal" is the hit the ball consistently and with some authority. Maybe you'll want to focus on that? I think the dad here is more interested in teaching his DD to be successful, rather than be a guinea pig...

Aug 28, 2013
Yeah, pitchers move down-hill with the front shoulder up and the rear shoulder down. Scap pinch keeps that rear side down-in loaded, and then the shoulders reverse.

Hitters stride with the front shoulder down-in and they fight to keep that front down-in. Why would you apply the same scap load clamp to a totally different movement? Did you buy into that old voodoo theory years ago?

Nice! Here we go again, each time I post something you seem to jump out of the weeds ready to have at it. Do you think I'm someone I'm not and your particular dislike for that person immediately triggers a reaction? Who brought up pitching?

I'm getting ready to post something over in the catching forum about a glove, you better get some response ready to go to argue it!

Aug 28, 2013
The "ultimate goal" is the hit the ball consistently and with some authority. Maybe you'll want to focus on that? I think the dad here is more interested in teaching his DD to be successful, rather than be a guinea pig...

Yeah, that's sort of the point. I was referring to the goal of the scap load, not the entire swing process. Here kid, take this bat and hit the ball consistently and with some authority. That's great advice, I'm going to pass that along to my DD tonight, thank you sir!

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
I was honored to be your very first post back during the "Rose Colored Glasses" thread. In fact, you had never posted anywhere up until that point, but you came out of the weeds to defend a particular theory that I'm very familiar with, which I happen to know is complete garbage. So, seeing how we have this special bond, I'll be here to correct your non-sense.

Aug 28, 2013
I was honored to be your very first post back during the "Rose Colored Glasses" thread. In fact, you had never posted anywhere up until that point, but you came out of the weeds to defend a particular theory that I'm very familiar with, which I happen to know is complete garbage. So, seeing how we have this special bond, I'll be here to correct your non-sense.

Aww, that's so sweet, I'm really touched that we have that special relationship. Aren't they all theories by the way, or is yours just so far superior to everyone else's that it should just be universally accepted?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild