And now the youngest daughter......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
Aww, that's so sweet, I'm really touched that we have that special relationship. Aren't they all theories by the way, or is yours just so far superior to everyone else's that it should just be universally accepted?
I've documented my journey. Even shared the videos along the way... So far from you we get no vids. What's up with that?

Show the op how you teach it.

Jan 13, 2012
Pstein, it isn't that uncommon for the rear upper arm to become externally rotated as the hands are lifted.

vjm6o.gif

Bonds had an extreme tip and loaded his hands through a combination of scap and hand action. When your scap is totally dead (as hers is), it's not good.

Jan 13, 2012
Why would you intentionally/purposefully want to load your scap? In professional ballplayers, the scap GETS loaded while the hands are caught up in a state of resistance.

In addition, I've seen the type of scap loading/clamping that you aspire to achieve. In all honesty, I'm not opposed to that in the overhand throw, but hitting is an underhand activity. Your bow/flex/bow vid of Mike Mussina does not scale... That's a fact, and these theories should not be propagated on the fine folks here without that full understanding.

MussinaspineMatt.gif

I agree to a point. The scap pinch/clamp/load shouldn't be a deliberate process. It's a function of the loading in the unload. Generally (but not always), if the hitter uses his hands correctly (to provide resistance), the scap will automatically be clamped and stay that way. Now, if a hitter doesn't do it... he's not going to be in a good position to hit the ball.

Personally, I don't care whether or not you believe it's deliberate or not. You need to do it.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2013
I've documented my journey. Even shared the videos along the way... So far from you we get no vids. What's up with that?

Show the op how you teach it.

You seem to be obsessed with me posting a video Howe, not sure what's up with that. I've already stated that I'd prefer not to post my daughter on the internet, sorry if you interpret that any other way than how I intend it to be taken - which is just my personal preference. I've watched/read as countless other kids get ripped apart, criticized and ridiculed if what they're doing doesn't match what someone else believes or teaches and I'm not prepared to let that happen to my DD. I know no matter what she does/did in the video that she'd already have someone (you) ready to pounce with a negative critique solely because of your assumed belief of my association with another "camp".

And if I may clear the air about that, not because I care what you think but just because I'd like to get if off my chest. First, I sincerely apologize for the reference I made to you in my 1st (2nd actually) post to a feminine hygiene product, it was wrong and I had no business calling you that as I don't know you. Second, I have not and never will be associated with the person you so strongly dislike, I know I said in my post I would but never did/will happen. I guess I just can't get past the constant derogatory attitude that is prevalent on that blog and I could never let someone be associated with teaching my daughter who calls a child names on the internet. I find it immature and offensive IMO and I no longer even read it for that very reason. If you want to dislike me for believing some of what is taught there, fine, I could care less. I'm sure he's not the only one teaching it and if it makes sense to me and my DD then that's what matters.

By the way, I've offered to PM you if you'd ever like to come watch her play. I'll introduce myself and her in person and then you can come on here and write all you want about how wrong everything she's doing is.

Aug 28, 2013
I agree to a point. The scap pinch/clamp/load shouldn't be a deliberate process. It's a function of the loading in the unload. Generally (but not always), if the hitter uses his hands correctly (to provide resistance), the scap will automatically be clamped and stay that way. Now, if a hitter doesn't do it... he's not going to be in a good position to hit the ball.

Personally, I don't care whether or not you believe it's deliberate or not. You need to do it.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Thank you pstein, that was exactly the point I was trying to make (the OP's DD's lack of).

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Bonds had an extreme tip and loaded his hands through a combination of scap and hand action. When your scap is totally dead (as hers is), it's not good.

Her issue is not so much the ER that takes place at that point in time ... but where she is bringing her hands.

Consider a boxer if you will ..... how would it feel to bring the top hand up above the ear as this girl does? It wouldn't feel very powerful.

1z5ovpv.jpg

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
You seem to be obsessed with me posting a video Howe, not sure what's up with that. I've already stated that I'd prefer not to post my daughter on the internet, sorry if you interpret that any other way than how I intend it to be taken - which is just my personal preference. I've watched/read as countless other kids get ripped apart, criticized and ridiculed if what they're doing doesn't match what someone else believes or teaches and I'm not prepared to let that happen to my DD. I know no matter what she does/did in the video that she'd already have someone (you) ready to pounce with a negative critique solely because of your assumed belief of my association with another "camp".

And if I may clear the air about that, not because I care what you think but just because I'd like to get if off my chest. First, I sincerely apologize for the reference I made to you in my 1st (2nd actually) post to a feminine hygiene product, it was wrong and I had no business calling you that as I don't know you. Second, I have not and never will be associated with the person you so strongly dislike, I know I said in my post I would but never did/will happen. I guess I just can't get past the constant derogatory attitude that is prevalent on that blog and I could never let someone be associated with teaching my daughter who calls a child names on the internet. I find it immature and offensive IMO and I no longer even read it for that very reason. If you want to dislike me for believing some of what is taught there, fine, I could care less. I'm sure he's not the only one teaching it and if it makes sense to me and my DD then that's what matters.

By the way, I've offered to PM you if you'd ever like to come watch her play. I'll introduce myself and her in person and then you can come on here and write all you want about how wrong everything she's doing is.

Yes, those first few post set the tone for me. I'll drop it.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

You should care whether an action is deliberate or not.

What you consider a 'clamp' is not a 'clamp' at all ... it is simply a build-up of pressure that takes place as a 'result'.

Howe

Blowhard in training
Aug 28, 2013
You need to do it.

P, in all fairness. You don't have any students and you don't play the game. You're a kid who likes to discuss hitting. Not marginalizing your points. I just equate your corrections to my posts as equivalent to a business student telling an active business owner how to run his successful business...

Your quote above is complete non-sense. You don't NEED to DO IT. It will get done if you make sure to correct other things...

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Sounds like you are looking for some quick spot improvements.

Consider pointing out to your daughter her forward torso lean at contact and see if she can correct that.

292pptx.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole