And now the youngest daughter......

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I would say that even on a practice swing try to reinforce a sequence. Like Howards Matrix.
Inside foot, Thigh/hip/lower back rotate alittle bit then upper body hands and arms through.

Always reinforce a proper sequence. She is at a great age for working on this. Make it become second nature on her mess around swings, on deck swings and all this will work into her game swing...Good Luck :)

SL

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
So slo-mo tee work and dry swings are in order I guess.

The first swing is basically all-back and all-forward. The second swing has some overlap.

She has shown you that her sequence can be 'poor', or 'reasonable' (for her age). Simply let her know. Communication of 'right' and 'wrong' will go a long way. You'd be surprised .... she may be able to 'feel' the difference, and with that 'feel' she may be more apt to reproduce what you positively reinforce.

Now, there are other issues with her swing ... but in terms of basic sequence it appears that you should be able to get her on the right track fairly quickly and without a lot of pain.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Someone with this instinct can generally be brought into sequence fairly quickly ....

rtma1g.gif

Observe how she brings the hands up/back/in as she moves out.

Jan 13, 2012
Someone with this instinct can generally be brought into sequence fairly quickly ....

rtma1g.gif

Observe how she brings the hands up/back/in as she moves out.

It looks as though she's externally rotating the rear arm (i.e. raising her hands with her hands) rather than raising her hands correctly.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
It looks as though she's externally rotating the rear arm (i.e. raising her hands with her hands) rather than raising her hands correctly.

Pstein, it isn't that uncommon for the rear upper arm to become externally rotated as the hands are lifted.

vjm6o.gif

There is an issue here, and it is tied into her 'diving hands' through contact imo.

Aug 28, 2013
Pstein, it isn't that uncommon for the rear upper arm to become externally rotated as the hands are lifted.

vjm6o.gif

There is an issue here, and it is tied into her 'diving hands' through contact imo.

FFS, IMO I would disagree with this. Bonds had a very unique handset in that his loading was much lower than most any other hitter I've seen - to me he's already beginning to turn the barrel in the GIF above. Casedawg's dd IMO never seems to get to where Bonds was at prior to these frames, which would have been an internally rotated rear arm from a good scap load/resistance.

For me, it's impossible to externally rotate my rear arm and get good - or any for that matter - scap loading when I swing. I see her hands going up from just lifting them, not from any stretch/resistance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi