An honest reaction...what would be yours?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2009
Never ceases to amaze me the level some people stoop to. We had a coach from an opposing team call a player the "C" word in a high school tourney this year.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Giving it some more thought, I think you need to call the organization the coach is a part of. They need to be told about the behavior of their coach. If you are aware of the program, I would make the call. Even if its just a rumor that has gotten blown up, there could be something to it. This type of behavior needs to be pointed out and made example of. Hopefully they are not an independent team.

Jun 16, 2011
Polson, MT
Common theme I see in alot of underachieving parent/coaches that are out there for just their daughter and not for any other reason. With no accountability for these coaches or repercussions in the form of a governing body for reprimand or removal from a coaching position I'm sure this will continue to occur. Arrogance begets ignorance and I would never allow my Daughter to play for any coach like that.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I doubt that I would have tried to physically assault the idiot coach. There is only about a 1% chance that I am going to lose my mind and take a bat to him.

But, I would have done something. In Springfield, Il. I could have called the park police and told them that someone is about to get beat up.

But, now I am thinking "What if it had been my daughter in the circle?"

I have to wonder about a grown man that even has those type of words in his vocabulary.

Mar 13, 2010
But, now I am thinking "What if it had been my daughter in the circle?"

That's what I'm thinking. I remember when a man IP'd me to get back at my mum and started telling me (as an umpire) how much I sucked a pitcher my dad had to be held back. I've never seen my dad be violent but he had three of his mates struggling to hold him. He was very lucky I didn't ask what a certain word meant until we were at the pub that night. (t-ball started at 8, the men's game started at 5.30pm) I couldn't understand why he called me a can't..... That was the point my dad, grandfather and three of the A grade men went back down to the ground to see if he was still there. If he was there, I have no doubt they'd have gone close to killing him. At the judicary meeting he couldn't understand why my grandfather (who was president of the association and head of the judicary committe) wasn't there. It was then he was told that he should be thanking God he wasn't, as by that point everyone had heard what had been said. My father was banned from softball for a month by my mum. Even now you mention this man's name my parents and grandparents start to twitch.

I have to wonder about a grown man that even has those type of words in his vocabulary.

I wouldn't even call them men.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
There is a huge difference if it is your DD, or a member of the Team. Just the way it is.

Funny story:

About 2 weeks ago I was watching a little league game and the center fielder made a great catch. The manager of the Team up to bat said:

“Boy, that was a h*** of a catch!” – He was immediately thrown out of the game and asked to leave the park. He seemed to be a good guy, he knew the rules and sulked off trying to hide. :)

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
We had it happen several times last year in Rec Ball from the same team . Their 3rd base coach talking smack about our girls loud enough that they and the parents could hear them . My Wife called him out on it and we later filed a formal complaint with the league . Evidently we were not the only ones as he was banned from coaching Rec Ball due to numerous complaints . He promptly started his own ASA team and stripped all the talent out of that league and now has a phenomenal team . That being said the ASA Ump's must have tuned him up as he is extremely polite to opposing teams players now , his Assistant coach though is pretty notorious for being pitched from games .

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
I must say at the tournament my GDD played in last weekend was most enjoyable. All the parents from the teams acted if they were one big happy family. If somebody from another team needed something, they could usually get it. If an opposing player made a good play, everyone was giving praise. At the games I saw, no one was "mean" to the umps, some were even making sure that they were ok in the heat. The umps even got in on the fun. At one point someone in the stands yelled laughingly that the ball had hit the batter. Ump did not say anything. The next pitch drilled the batter in the thigh. His remark, "now that hit her" as she ran to first. The tournament director was all over the place making sure the tournament was going well and everyone had everything they needed and were having fun.

I wish every tournament was like that.

But alas, that is not always the case. I remember earlier in the year during a game, both teams fans were very verbose and abusive not only to the players but to each other. I was wondering when a fight was going to erupt. The ump did nothing. To their credit, the two coaches got together and discussed it. They then went and pulled their teams off the field. They then went to the ump and talked to him. At this point they went to their fans and said they would not finish the game unless they became civil or left the park. The ump finally said he would throw anyone out of the park if he heard anymore. I guess some fans could not control themselves as they left the park but the game was finished without another incident.

Feb 17, 2011
I have seen tourneys that were nice and others that were one comment from a full blown riot, and still cannot identify what causes them to be that way. Some of the more heated games often involve teams that play each other alot and build a rivalry and have carry over issues from one game to another. We were recently in a way out of town tourney and were playing teams from 5 to 800 miles away and had a very nice time. The only issue we had was with one of the most "local" teams and their coaches and parents. I guess they felt they were the home team or something and really had rude comments toward our players and the umps. The PU did not seem to be very experienced and the other teams coaches bullied him around quite a bit. However the BU was not taking anything from anyone and she set the coach in his place by the second inning. DD was pitching and "coach" went down the list of usual complaints.... shes crowhopping, shes not presenting the ball, etc. etc. trying to get in DD head. She has none of it, and in fact relishes when other teams try to get in her head as she knows that some teams take themselves out of the game when they start spending time harrasing her

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid