An honest reaction...what would be yours?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 9, 2009
Just heard about a 12u tourney where two coaches were thrown out because Coach A got into it with Coach B (other team's 3rd base coach) after Coach B's taunting turned into calling Coach A's pitcher a Bi__h, while she was trying to pitch. (yes, this a grown man calling a 12 yo girl a profane name)
If that was my DD as the pitcher, I'm not sure I could've gotten out of there without getting physical, and I'm pushing 5'3"... That being said, I would regret it later, maybe.

How would you guys have reacted?

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I am 6'2 280 lbs, and I doubt there would have been a person on the field or in the stands that would keep me from having a conversation with that coach.

Nov 8, 2010
I think a more important question would be...what is the punishment for this coach? Being thrown out of one game is not near harsh enough for something like this. He should be banned from being anywhere near a field for at least the rest of this season if not much longer....like forever maybe!! It amazes me how coaches like this actually find enough players and parents to field a team!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I would rather try to stop a 6’ 2’’ father then a 5’ 3’’ angry mother. The former I would have a chance, the later I am going to get hurt trying to stop.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
While I understand why you would want to punch the guy in the face, and he definitely deserves it--honestly, it would be best just to gather up the DD and leave. You have to keep your focus on your DD, and do what is best for her, not do what you want to do.

Your DD needs you a lot more than that jerk needs a punch in the face. A fight could make a bad situation much worse. As a former member of the law enforcement community, something like this can spiral out of control much too easily.

I think a YouTube video would do more to deter these kind of antics than a punch in the face.

Some thing like that did happen to my DD when she was 11YOA. She was pitching, and the 3rd base coach was taunting her for the entire game. We were on the 1st base side, and the coach made sure that I didn't hear it. My DD broke down sobbing after the game (she won).

It was a strange game. We were playing at night, and the field lights were on a timer. Both teams were from out of town, so no one knew about the lights, so it was a complete surprise when at 9PM, the lights suddenly went out. The coach for the other team was screaming about how my DD was 14YOA, not 11YOA (we started carrying a birth certificate after that). The umpire jumped into his car and fled. My DD comes over and bursts into tears about being taunted for the whole game. By the time I got her calm down enough to tell me what had happened, the other coaches had driven off.

Feb 3, 2011
I would've taken my team off the field. I love competition and admire competitiveness, even among the adults who instruct young people. But the parents of the girls I coach have entrusted their daughters to me, and they expect me to behave in a manner that is respectful of all the players and of the game. They also expect me to protect their daughters to the best of my ability. My players also put tremendous faith in me, and in the instance you've described, the only course of action would've been to leave the game and remove my team from such a hostile environment.

Mar 25, 2011
I would think just calling it to the umpires attention would have solved the issue. I can't really see an umpire allowing that to go on once he was aware of it. I would think the coach would get a warning about it, and then he'd be ejected or his team disqualified, which would have been the best situation....because then the teams parents would get to handle the situation. No more girls, no more coach.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I'd resist the urge to get a 34/-8 off the fence and just call the cops. Let them use their judgement on whether the guy needs a trip downtown. Regardless, no one likes a visit from the Man.

Mar 13, 2010
While i think it was the wrong reaction I'm not blaming him for his reaction. I probably would have had to be held back.