Amount of pressure on the drive foot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 26, 2010
I've had kids called for having their heel in front. I know Hillhouse used to teach that, but has since changed. It is not illegal to do so, per se, but there is also nothing in the rules that keep an umpire from calling it illegal if there is a molecule or two of nitrogen between the rubber and her heel.'

-W

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
you could also consider the pitching rule explanations at this site- Crow Hopping, Foot Dragging, and More Great softball pitching hints and recommendations for girl softball pitchers

it seems to be understood that the pivot foot should be pushing off the pitcher's plate, this pitcher does not do that. Rather, she is pushing off the ground in front of the pitcher's plate and technically this is illegal, because once the pivot foot loses contact with the pitcher's plate, it is supposed to drag. Instead, as she loses contact with the plate as soon as she lifts her heel, she ends up pushing off from the dirt. Some umpires would call an initial launch point like this a replant- most would not. That being said, it is a minor illegality compared to the leap and the more obvious replant of the later frames (IMHO:))

MANDM you are absolutely correct. Her launch point is a foot's length infront of the pitchers plate. I can't imagine she would be called on that point when she hasn't been called for the leaping.

Jul 26, 2010
I've seen kids fly a foot up in the air and never get called. I don't think the emphasis should be on getting the kid called illegal. The emphasis should be on the kid getting her mechanics fixed. Left Turn says the kid has talent, so it's a shame for her if it isn't addressed while she's still able to adapt.

-W

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877