Amount of pressure on the drive foot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
Looking at the most powerful pitchers in our area, they are all leap and drag pitchers. When they leap off the pitchers plate they (mostly) drag their drive foot and appear to replant. They also stay back and replant the drive foot before the stride foot lands. The drive foot seems to absolutely skip to the replant poistion.

Looking at the model pitchers, they certainly keep their weight back. They also drag the drive foot and put at least some pressure on it before the stride foot lands. Some replant more than others for what appears to be a second push.

Is it correct that for the elite pitchers, the drive foot replants to some degree to give an extra push?

How much pressure is placed on the replanted drive foot?

Does the drive foot replant before the stride foot touches ground?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
The drag foot should not replant. I've never thought about how much pressure to use. I suppose just enough to maintain contact.

Carly

Pitching Coach
May 4, 2012
Pittsburgh
There should be no replanting at all, and no "second push." Ideally, only the big toe area should drag on the ground, because too much pressure can cause too much of the foot to drag, slowing down the drive through. The pressure of the drive foot in the ground should be just enough to help keep the posture up.

Jul 26, 2010
Most of the elite pitchers are illegal. Who's going to call Cat Osterman or Jennie Finch on it though?

It's illegal to use a shaved bat because it gives an unfair advantage to the batter. It's illegal to replant the pivot foot because it gives an unfair advantage to the pitcher. You can give your players hot bats and teach your pitchers to replant and probably get away with it 90% of the time, but could you sleep at night if you did?

-W

Last edited:

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
The best high school pitcher in our area does more than replant. Her drive foot leaves the ground briefly as she leaps - maybe an inch off the ground. She replants to get a second push roughly a foot in front of the pitcher's plate.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
I have heard it said that a pitcher should be able to put a piece of paper on the ground and drag it forward. So I know there should be contact.

But back to my original questions: How much pressure should being put on the drive foot at release? Is there real pressure on the back foot to provide more umph to the pitch? Or is the pressure minimal - just to stay legal and provide balance?

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
Legal and balanced. Preferably, the toe should drag without pause, but I believe a little hitch is legal, so long as the foot doesn't noticeably replant and push off. Angel Bunner was a classic example of the pause, plant and push: 080912DiamondsBunner-300x259.jpg

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Left turn, It is too bad that she is considered the best pitcher in the area. Just wait until the ump starts calling her for IP. If she goes on to pitch in college, it is bound to happen. Also, it is very hard to correct and is psychologically challenging to the girl, because she has been allowed to pitch that way, her entire life.

I have some experience watching a girl, like you describe, and I believe (my opinion only) that the second push is causing her back problems. I don't feel any pressure on my right big toe, as it drags up to my left foot. So, it might be one percent.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi