All-Star try outs/player with sickdad.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Her Mom doesn't want anyone else to bear this burden(so she says " don't do us any favors"). She's a strong woman and doesn't ask for help but in this case I would ignore that. Ask this little girl 1 on 1 what She wants.. then make it happen!
You have a lot of options here. She WILL be at the very least the extra player. Extra players run bases for catchers and pitchers. Extra players are rotated in to positions for various reasons. Extra players bat when you 'bat the line up'.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Her Mom doesn't want anyone else to bear this burden(so she says " don't do us any favors"). She's a strong woman and doesn't ask for help but in this case I would ignore that. Ask this little girl 1 on 1 what She wants.. then make it happen!
You have a lot of options here. She WILL be at the very least the extra player. Extra players run bases for catchers and pitchers. Extra players are rotated in to positions for various reasons. Extra players bat when you 'bat the line up'.

Jan 10, 2013
I don't know if anyone can put into words exactly what this girl is going through. Almost 25 years ago, I lost my 36 year old mom to cancer. I was 11-12 when she was sick, and I was lucky to have a strong extended family to help me out. I was sheltered from many of the day to day pain and treatments she experienced, but there are still many bad memories.

I would've appreciated anything to take my mind off of those bad times. Anything.

Do something for this girl. Even if it's not a spot on the All-Star team, diverting her attention from the heartache she is feeling every hour of the day will be helpful.

As for the comment "maybe she is needed at home"....Maybe she is. Maybe she is willing. Maybe mom isn't giving the best advice here and speaking politically. I dunno. I wasn't able to do anything but go home after school to "help out" with my younger siblings, and that is an incredible amount of weight to put on a kid's shoulders.

Thoughts and prayers with you and your family.

Jun 12, 2012
I would put her on the team, but just let her know she might not get tons of play time. You would be surprised how much she will improve just playing with better competition and besides that, she needs to stay busy and not sit home thinking about her dad. If other parents don't like it, they can take an all star team next year. It's a lot of work.

Mar 13, 2010
My question is if this wasn't your niece and it was the same situation would you put the girl on the team?

If yes then do it. It's just softball. Give her something positive and fun.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
If I were a parent in the town, and I knew what was going on with her father, I would support the decision to put her on the team especially as you are her uncle- even if it meant that my DD would not play. This not about softball as much as it is about supporting this child through an unimaginably difficult time. Neighbors are always looking for a way to help, well this is it.

Oct 18, 2009
Its only all stars. You are a volunteer. She is your niece. See what she wants. If she wants to be on the team put her on the team. Its not going to be the end of the world. Let her know her role. Inspire her to work and practice hard. If she is a good kid and you know she will be good to the other girls you won't regret it.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
A local coach/father died last year. Someone was nice enough to put on a large tournament for his benefit. They raised a lot of money.
They designed t-shirts and sold them. It was a great help to the family. They also had a Face Book page and a Caring Bridge page to keep everyone informed of the man's condition and how people could help.

When my adult nephew was diagnosed, I ordered silicone bracelets with his name on them. They come in two sizes. The kids need medium.

I just thought that there are ways to help, besides All Stars.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse