All show and no go.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Wish you had a DVD.. I would buy it... :{)) Would you like me to sent you DD's Skills Video?

Custom is right. My background in sports is Horse Racing. For everyone you beat... They only come back to try again. You "CLAIM" the wrong one at the tryout, you are only making up the team for the coaches that want to beat you... You do realize that every other coach wants to beat YOU ...

Here is the basics of Equ. needed to put one around the track. See if you can see how knowing this can help... I highlighted the stuff needed for this post...You had brought up the much needed googles. One of my favorites, not pictured, I guess its in the tricks stuff & is called the "can't see back"... it is special or custom...used mostly for fillies(girl horses) To keep in context for OP, they all wear most of this stuff, the colors, numbers, drivers...ect... But only one can Win on race day.

Goggles.png

I always heard that the key to harness racing is betting on the right crook

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
I always heard that the key to harness racing is betting on the right crook

You sure that wasn't the Thoroughbreds, and do you know the difference? its like TB vs LL... The point of me sharing this was to later expand on the difference as it relates to OP. Harness Horsemen mostly start out at County Fairs, and are driven by the Owner/ trainer. Kinda like rec. & Daddy Ball. Thoroughbreds, owners have to have a jockey hired...kinda like the Elite teams.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
You sure that wasn't the Thoroughbreds, and do you know the difference? its like TB vs LL... The point of me sharing this was to later expand on the difference as it relates to OP. Harness Horsemen mostly start out at County Fairs, and are driven by the Owner/ trainer. Kinda like rec. & Daddy Ball. Thoroughbreds, owners have to have a jockey hired...kinda like the Elite teams.

No I got it right. When you watch a harness racer pulling back at the finish line you never know for sure if he is trying to keep his horse from breaking, or to keep him from winning. If you go to a real harness track there is usually a professional driver, and not the owner in the sulky.

Nov 29, 2009
Wish you had a DVD.. I would buy it... :{))

There are plenty of good ones out there already. They are not hard to find.

Would you like me to sent you DD's Skills Video?

You've posted enough YouTube links so far, someone could make skills compilation. No need.

Custom is right. My background in sports is Horse Racing. For everyone you beat... They only come back to try again. You "CLAIM" the wrong one at the tryout, you are only making up the team for the coaches that want to beat you...

That is by definition how pretty much every team sport operates. You select a team based on what you think the needs of a team are as a coach. You train them. You compete against other teams. You win.. They want to beat you the next time. You lose.. You want to beat them the next time.

You do realize that every other coach wants to beat YOU ...

Umm... I don't play the game. The players do. The opponents have to beat the team not just me. As a coach I'm part of the team. I AM NOT LARGER THAN THE TEAM!

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
No I got it right. When you watch a harness racer pulling back at the finish line you never know for sure if he is trying to keep his horse from breaking, or to keep him from winning. If you go to a real harness track there is usually a professional driver, and not the owner in the sulky.

I guess I'm talking about how they get "qualified" to go to the track, when they are just 2 yrs old. They have to either go to Fairs, or non betting qualifiers in front of judges. To be able to write off expenses, they have to make $600. 85% of 2 yr olds never make it to the track... they get turned out at the farm, and brought back when they are 3. You can own & drive & train your own Harness Horse.
I seen the parallel to "All show and no go." And it going into the goggles thing.

If your horse is breaking, its like changing pitchers before you get cranked. Some races are just dropping in to get experience... Like a 14u team entering as a 16u bracket. You can go to real track and watch the owner race against the pro's too. Thats like Big Org team against the independents. You have to make stake payments way ahead of the race you want to run in, just like tournaments. You can't just show at the Jug, just like the nationals.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2012
Ha! TB parents proving stereotypes.

"My kid plays TB so she's better than yours." There are plenty of girls that are in Rec Ball that could make your TB team. Time committment, money, etc. may prevent them or they would just like to avoid all of the "my kid is better than yours" attitude that seems to be puking all over this thread.

Nov 29, 2009

"My kid plays TB so she's better than yours." There are plenty of girls that are in Rec Ball that could make your TB team. Time committment, money, etc. may prevent them or they would just like to avoid all of the "my kid is better than yours" attitude that seems to be puking all over this thread.

As with everything. There are exceptions to the rule. It happens in travel too.

Had a girl show up to my tryouts this fall. Huge hitter. She played on a team with a pitcher I've been working with. The coach played the team in B tournaments all last season and they won a lot of them. I told the girl I will make her the best player she can be. Mom calls me up later to tell me her DD went back to her old travel team. She didn't want to work that hard playing softball. All I could do was wish her well and think to myself what a waste of talent.

Jul 12, 2012
On the bleachers
Had a dad tell my daughter the other day. His daughter said to him she's learned more about softball in the last 2 months on our team than she did on her last team in two years.

Wish you had a DVD.. I would buy it... :{)) Would you like me to sent you DD's Skills Video?

Custom is right. My background in sports is Horse Racing. For everyone you beat... They only come back to try again. You "CLAIM" the wrong one at the tryout, you are only making up the team for the coaches that want to beat you... You do realize that every other coach wants to beat YOU ...

Here is the basics of Equ. needed to put one around the track. See if you can see how knowing this can help... I highlighted the stuff needed for this post...You had brought up the much needed googles. One of my favorites, not pictured, I guess its in the tricks stuff & is called the "can't see back"... it is special or custom...used mostly for fillies(girl horses) To keep in context for OP, they all wear most of this stuff, the colors, numbers, drivers...ect... But only one can Win on race day.

Goggles.png

Love this! Spent every summer at the track.

Jul 12, 2012
On the bleachers

I don't see this thread as such, maybe I am missing something. What I took from Amy's post is the player looked the part but due to poor mechanics her pitching was suffering. Unfortunately, the parents saw her for better than what she really is. It happens, all the time. It happens in Rec. Ball too. This has nothing to do with Rec. or travel. It has to do with parents reality being distorted or their lack of "trained eye". Don't judge TB parents because of the perceptions of others. I will tell you this, my daughter has played in both rec and TB because she plays ball all year around, several practices a week, tourneys every weekend, etc she has surpassed those girls she used to play with. It is my job to keep her grounded.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Love this! Spent every summer at the track.

Thankz... Me too! I see alot of things that can be shared about getting a Filly around the track. I agreed the Trainer needs Goggles, the dirt will fly in you eyes... lol

I also agree about this post being useful. "All show and no go" I guess I could be explained with equipment, like for horses. I would say though, that I believe "perception" is everything. I think that those who are ready for the show, have came along way in the process. Of course it wouldn't matter rec, or TB. What matters is when your DD wants Bumba cleats, and is willing to put the money saved from not wanting a school T-shirt to wear to the pep rally. In both, your not in the stands, but on the stage. You can be "all dressed up, with no wear to go" too.

With DD I see her focusing... she has done lots of the other stuff, but is willing to skip all the interaction that being caught up in the rapid pace of the common Intramural Sports. DD thinks that lotz of her other friends are kinda arrogant as well. She knows you can't really be good unless you practice all the time, at one thing. She has gym, and she is able to see the results of doing it all. I have taught her that everyone is good, just they don't practice enough. I taught her this when she started out @ 8. She kinda had a competition with a life long friend, and said to me, You know shes not as good as I am (meaning acquired skilz in ball) I said, she is better! & she is going to start working out with us all the time now too. JK her... I think she got it. 3 years later, at least 3 times a week I ask when she comes home from school... Did you see my buddy today? Even her mom asks why I keep this up, I just laugh, but DD knows. I was very honest with her.... if DD had the spit of her little friend, she would go a lot faster in Fastpitch. Her friends team beat us in a friendly a couple weeks ago. I was elated... because I'm right. But her friend didn't do as good as DD. I spent lotz of time talking to her Dad, and told DD she getting ready to start training with us. If she spent 3/4 of the time DD does practicing, then she could be better. Another thing is DD don't feel sorry now for the ones that aren't as focused. I asked her when we got beat, because of several errors, why she thought we lost... she said 4H

I guess those who find out that it is rally hard ... and are faced with their lack of focus, are learning life lessons. DD is 10, and one day it will be easy to explain, that even though she has the most beautiful dress at the prom, her choice in the young fellow she goes with is just as important, He will have to understand focus as much as she does.... This will lead to another of my Dads teachings that you triggered by using one in the OP..."dance with the one that brought you" :{))

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd