All Out?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
What inevitably happens when you ask pitchers to slow down to throw strikes? IMO, use the same swing with 2 strikes that you've practiced 10,000 plus - smooth and controlled, hit it where its pitched. If you've got a power hitter who has an above average tendency to swing and miss, have them use the same swing but choke up a little to improve bat control and increase the potential for contact. Protective swings that put the ball weakly in play are worse than good hard swings that result in a strikeout because there is limited upside potential IMO.

I agree. I'm not convinced that the goal of putting the ball in play is that valuable against good defenses, or outweighs the need to be able to drive the ball w/ 2 strikes on you. I'm looking at team stats in the SEC from 2012. National champ Alabama led the conference in runs scored by 100 runs -- 433 to second-place Tennessee's 321. That's almost 2 runs per game more. Alabama had the 7th most strikeouts out of 11 teams. The team w/ the fewest strikeouts, Ole Miss, was 8th in runs scored.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission