Alabama using the down to it and through it tees? wth?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 13, 2014
These 2 clips below are the same drill shown at different speeds so I only viewed it as 1 clip. So please don't slow down. Go faster.
bamatee2_zps847df5c2.gif
bamatee_zps260c17e5.gif

That clip is being compared to Manny's swing as the same. Ok, He takes a steep barrel path, that true. But..
Where the girls barrel goes down THROUGH the ball and continues down after contact....
Manny's barrel is down TO the ball then upward. Manny's top hand wrist releases through the ball. The other hitter holds the angle THROUGH contact then releases it after contact. Manny's rear elbow gets under the His hands. The Alabama hitter's elbow never gets under, it's a PUSH from the word GO. I think you know what I am saying so there's no need to go on. But if you think that drill will produce Manny's swing good luck to you sir.

mannyturn_zps1414aea8.gif

The Bama girls are pushing bad. Real bad

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
So am I correct in stating that the purpose of this tee/drill is to prevent "barrel dumping"? If so, couldn't we just perform the George Brett drill to have a similar effect without spending the money on this tee? Or is there a significant difference between the drills?

I agree that dumping is not desirable. I also agree that there are many "drills" that isolate certain aspects of the swing and can be useful in teaching/learning if done properly. I also believe that any drill can be harmful if not used properly.

Feb 7, 2013
Could never understand hitting coaches and drills that promote hitting down on the ball unless you are teaching slapping techniques. The visual cue is the more like the Nike swoosh, but tilted slightly. The bat parh to create the swoosh would never work with this tee.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
RHC, Do you consider this (Cabrera) dumping? If not, what would Cabrera need to do (at the very least) to turn his swing into a dump?

If the pitched ball was chest high. Cabrera will then have to make an adjustment up from the initial barrel path.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Wasn't the initial barrel path set due to pitch location?
I agree. Cabrera isn't 'dumping' the barrel.
The question was in bold:
Do you consider this (Cabrera) dumping? If not, what would Cabrera need to do (at the very least) to turn his swing into a dump?
My answer was to 'how would Cabrera's swing turn into a barrel dump.
If the pitched ball was chest high. Cabrera will then have to make an adjustment up from the initial barrel path.

For the record never said I liked the tee. I wouldn't buy the tee.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Thank you for repeating Richard. Them having a corner or pushing is not my point. Turning the barrel to the ball ala Manny is my point. You can have a corner. You can whip the barrel. You can turn the barrel. AND you can avoid hitting the bar.

I guaranfreckin tee that if you are actually teaching kids to do these things that you would know that getting the barrel too low behind them is 99% more common then them hitting down through the ball.

I would guess that bar is 3 feet long. Ball is 6-8 inches above the front of the tee. Back of the bar is about level with the middle of the ball. So that would make it possible to be on plane with the ball for at least a foot, maybe a foot and a half without hitting the bar.

Thanks five for posting a Miggy swing that he would hit the bar. I am sure there are plenty that he wouldn't. As (omg I am agreeing with Mann), Mann said, it is a good drill device, and not saying every game swing has to look like it. Again, dumping the barrel is much more common then staying above the ball....and staying above the ball (not completely literally) is what I like.

Read Tjintx's post. The hands of the Alabama players are not working the barrel similar to Manny.

FYI .... Ted Williams would hit a rear placed tee as well ......

34eqhig.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jtp1221