Alabama using the down to it and through it tees? wth?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
If you placed a tee adjacent to Miggy's rear hip, at the height that he makes contact out front, then he'd smack the tee silly.

14vjq1i.gif

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
This "swing down through" bat path is very different than Miggy's bat path.

10nt24l.gif

So are the many tee drills MLB players practice.

I like the video angle of the this clip, the angled part of the tee could be turned towards the batter more, and if the angle could be adjusted along with the ball height. hmmm.

I like how the barrel actually drops lower than the bar, forcing the hands to stay high.

All in all, I can see how this tee might come in handy, I might get one

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
So are the many tee drills MLB players practice.

I like the video angle of the this clip, the angled part of the tee could be turned towards the batter more, and if the angle could be adjusted along with the ball height. hmmm.

I like how the barrel actually drops lower than the bar, forcing the hands to stay high.

All in all, I can see how this tee might come in handy, I might get one

If there is adjustability to it, I might buy one too.

Aug 13, 2014
bamatee2_zps847df5c2.gif

bamatee_zps260c17e5.gif

NOO NOOO MANNY! YOULL HIT THE TEE!!!!!!
mannyturn_zps1414aea8.gif

bahhahahahaha

Rhc I think you have missed on what you think is a gotcha moment... For one I think Manny would hit this t also but I'll move on from that... From what I see no ne of the Bama girls whip the barrel... They push the barrel and they do not create a corner whatsoever... If u are saying Manny swing is similar than I have to strongly disagree... Manny doors turn the barrel tight but it not down to it

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
I am saying Manny stays above the tee. Also, there are 3 clips, so I'll talk real slow from here out!

These 2 clips below are the same drill shown at different speeds so I only viewed it as 1 clip. So please don't slow down. Go faster.
bamatee2_zps847df5c2.gif
bamatee_zps260c17e5.gif

That clip is being compared to Manny's swing as the same. Ok, He takes a steep barrel path, that true. But..
Where the girls barrel goes down THROUGH the ball and continues down after contact....
Manny's barrel is down TO the ball then upward. Manny's top hand wrist releases through the ball. The other hitter holds the angle THROUGH contact then releases it after contact. Manny's rear elbow gets under the His hands. The Alabama hitter's elbow never gets under, it's a PUSH from the word GO. I think you know what I am saying so there's no need to go on. But if you think that drill will produce Manny's swing good luck to you sir.

mannyturn_zps1414aea8.gif

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Rhc I think you have missed on what you think is a gotcha moment... For one I think Manny would hit this t also but I'll move on from that... From what I see no ne of the Bama girls whip the barrel... They push the barrel and they do not create a corner whatsoever... If u are saying Manny swing is similar than I have to strongly disagree... Manny doors turn the barrel tight but it not down to it

Thank you for repeating Richard. Them having a corner or pushing is not my point. Turning the barrel to the ball ala Manny is my point. You can have a corner. You can whip the barrel. You can turn the barrel. AND you can avoid hitting the bar.

I guaranfreckin tee that if you are actually teaching kids to do these things that you would know that getting the barrel too low behind them is 99% more common then them hitting down through the ball.

I would guess that bar is 3 feet long. Ball is 6-8 inches above the front of the tee. Back of the bar is about level with the middle of the ball. So that would make it possible to be on plane with the ball for at least a foot, maybe a foot and a half without hitting the bar.

Thanks five for posting a Miggy swing that he would hit the bar. I am sure there are plenty that he wouldn't. As (omg I am agreeing with Mann), Mann said, it is a good drill device, and not saying every game swing has to look like it. Again, dumping the barrel is much more common then staying above the ball....and staying above the ball (not completely literally) is what I like.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
dumping the barrel is much more common then staying above the ball....and staying above the ball (not completely literally) is what I like.
Braun_teetogame.gif

I agree with where you are going with this. It's a tee for a drill that will/can get a hitter to understand being on 'plain' with the ball/staying above the ball. I see hitters dumping the barrel a lot below the pitch ball then trying to 'correct' the barrel path on the upswing.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2014
Thank you for repeating Richard. Them having a corner or pushing is not my point. Turning the barrel to the ball ala Manny is my point. You can have a corner. You can whip the barrel. You can turn the barrel. AND you can avoid hitting the bar.

I guaranfreckin tee that if you are actually teaching kids to do these things that you would know that getting the barrel too low behind them is 99% more common then them hitting down through the ball.

I would guess that bar is 3 feet long. Ball is 6-8 inches above the front of the tee. Back of the bar is about level with the middle of the ball. So that would make it possible to be on plane with the ball for at least a foot, maybe a foot and a half without hitting the bar.

Thanks five for posting a Miggy swing that he would hit the bar. I am sure there are plenty that he wouldn't. As (omg I am agreeing with Mann), Mann said, it is a good drill device, and not saying every game swing has to look like it. Again, dumping the barrel is much more common then staying above the ball....and staying above the ball (not completely literally) is what I like.

I'm not repeating anyone ..I don't know what your point is. That drill sucks. Point blank.

Aug 13, 2014
Braun_teetogame.gif

I agree with where you are going with this. It's a tee for a drill that will/can get a hitter to understand being on 'plain' with the ball/staying above the ball. I see hitters dumping the barrel a lot below the pitch ball then trying to 'correct' the barrel path on the upswing.
This drill is nothing like the other drill???? So do the drill kinda sort of is what I'm hearing...yes kids dump the barrel but what are you doing? Fix a problem by creating another one? I'm not on board here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K4man