After techinque, what makes a great hitter

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
I believe Ted Williams said to hit .400 you have to be a very good pitch guesser (or something along those lines). You definitely aren’t hitting upper 90s on the inside corner if you are looking for it.
Ah yes, you beat me to it. But anyway, the Cliff Notes version....
{Chapter Title} Guess? Yes!

“Proper thinking” is 50 per cent of effective hitting, and it is more than just doing your homework on a pitcher or studying the situation in a game. It is “anticipating,” too, when you are at the plate, and a lot of hitters will say that is college talk for “guessing” and some will be heard to say in a loud voice, “don’t do it!” They’re wrong. Guessing, or anticipating, goes hand in hand with proper thinking.

Obviously, you don’t just “guess” curve or “guess” fast ball. You work from a frame of reference, you learn what you might expect in certain instances, and you guess from there. Certainly you won’t guess a pitch the pitcher can’t get over; he might have a terrific curve, but if he can’t get it over, forget it. Certainly the pitch you anticipate when the count is 0 and 2 (a curve ball, probably, if the pitcher has one) is not the pitch you anticipate when the count is 2 and 0 (fast ball, almost without exception). Certainly if you are the kind of impatient hitter who will swing at anything at any time you will do yourself no good guessing at all because with that kind of latitude a pitcher will throw you nothing good to hit.

But if you have developed discipline at the plate, and can wait for that good ball to hit, you have a right to think along with the pitcher, and you will surprise yourself how often you outguess him.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

First minute of this video. Try to instill a calm confidence. And if you have to "fake it till you make it". Visualize success (linedrives). Plus try to get them to watch the game, pick up on pitch sequences (big ask)

Also teach them to understand that they must square up and hit the pitchers mistake. If the pitcher leaves a belt high FB over the plate it should equate to extra base hit. Good hitters don't foul back or pop up pitchers mistakes.

Excellent video to post Rolling Hard!

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
When DD was 8 HC did not want DD to swing because of the machine backup for the P. I was AC and told him that was not going to happen. If the ball was in the same zip code as the plate she was swinging. We practiced hitting balls over her head, she was short and were called strikes anyways so she mind as well swing.

Her best at bat ever was at 14U, P struck out arguably our best 2 hitters in 7 pitches. DD next had a 13 pitch at bat for a walk which blew the game open for us.

Having a plan you believe in is important. Changes game to game and maybe at bat to at bat. Commit.

(IDK if it was because DD was a P but she worked hard to figure out what the umpire would call and not call and adjust hitting. )

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2018
I am going to go with focus. To stay on the task at hand without letting the outside distractions .....distract you. (it's an Austin Powers Moment, )

There was a recent thread about "clutch" . someone pointed out that no one gets better in the clutch. Some people are just better able to maintain their performance under pressure. The people are able to stay focused on what they know they need to do. and not let the gravity (enormity), of the situation behave or perform differently than any other at bat.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Pitch recognition. Both location (most important, imo) and type of pitch.

The earlier you can see the ball and recognize the pitch, the better off you'll be.

This is why the Astros cheating scandal was such a big deal. Knowing what's coming and where it's going is such a huge advantage. If you can eliminate possibilities, you've made recognition easier.

Oct 26, 2019
Ah yes, you beat me to it. But anyway, the Cliff Notes version....
When I would have this talk with my players on “expecting” certain pitches in certain spots they would always ask me What do you do if it doesn’t come. I said “If a guy is a step ahead of you threw an at bat and gets you out then you tip your cap to him and get him next time”.

Mar 6, 2016
I would say hitting is 30% technique and consistency of approach/swing sequence. 60% mental focus... 25% luck and hitting em where they ain't...and another 10% doing what Daddy yells from right field 2 milliseconds before the ball arrives to the plate... Oh and if she has the latest, greatest, most $$$ hi tech alien metal composite bat that Daddy found online on Ebay.

Well...thats what I heard from a guy named Yogi.....or was it BooBoo???

😜

Jun 11, 2013
I guess you can develop hand/eye but I think a lot if it is just natural. I think the best hitters at every level just have that. You can build up strength and work on technique to get better but you still have to square it up consistently. I have to disagree with Quigs that luck has a component. Maybe for a few weeks or some time but great hitters are not lucky.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
More of the mental.

- “I Can’t Transfer Hitting From Practice To Games”

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Before technique is hand-eye coordination. That mostly God-given trait is the sine qua non...without that, technique doesn't matter. After practiced technique comes the BELIEF...the confidence that quiets the mind, steadies the nerves, slows down the pitch, and makes it look like a beach ball.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish