About the Drop

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Call weak hits over the infield, befor the outfield,
"Dumpy Do's".

Little story
Recently coach friends 14u team was playing a 16u team in vegas.
He does pitch charting for them.
He texted first inning said the 16u were strong. I said throw tons more change ups,
even throw them in the dirt.
Tell catcher pick up the slack.
Later he texted his pitch chart and said
"Thanks it worked."
They even threw 4 change ups in a row to one batter and she struck out.

Oct 26, 2019
Educate me on 0-2 pitches. I have our pitchers try to throw so the ball ends up 2 ball widths off the plate. So it's likely to be called a ball but just close enough to be swung at. It doesn't always end up there but I'd rather have them miss out on 0-2 than over the plate.
Throwing a ball on an 0-2 pitch just for the sake of throwing a ball is not good strategy. Like @Hillhouse said, I do t want an 0-2 pitch down the middle either, but I don’t want the 0-0 or the 0-1 down the middle for that matter.

it depends on what got you to 0-2. Take this sequence:

Strike 1 - swinging strike on fastball outer third
Strike 2 - swinging strike on fastball slightly off plate
Strike 3 - I could see expanding further outside since the batter swung twice to see how far off I can take it before she takes or trying to freeze her inside since I have her looking outside. When a hitter is 0-2 they are as defensive as they are going to get. I like to put them away at that point - whether that’s with a strike or a ball (they swing at).

Jan 28, 2017
One of my other personal pet peeves is this whole notion of the 0-2 waste pitch. I don't want ANY pitch to be a fatty over the middle, regardless of the count. Wasting a pitch is simply stupid and a poor use of energy. A lot of hitters change their approach with a 2 strike count, sometimes changing their stance, position in the box, etc. Those things need to be observed by everyone: pitcher, catcher and coaches because that change in approach from the hitter alters what pitch(s) to throw. I have never been a fan of an 0-2 change up, for example. Usually hitters are doing all they can to protect, they don't swing as hard and are looking for contact. These things diminish a change up's effectiveness.

And before anyone says anything about how great their daughter struck out someone on an 0-2 change up, I am speaking in general teams. I'm speaking in percentages. Yes, it can work. Yes, it can get people out.

Not disagreeing. If it’s after the 5th with an 0-2 count and no rise (worried about a HR) or change, does that limit you to the drop? Do you try to cut it a little more or your thoughts? I know the hitter will determine a lot.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
😏 perhaps waste pitch is lousy verbage because it may suggest throwing pitch waist high?! LOL

Words become verbal Que's,
Probably waste a pitch is a simple way to tell the pitcher dont throw over the plate. Its ok to not throw near the strikezone area.

Is there another word that identifys that goal better?

Last edited:

BLB

May 19, 2008
On a 0-2 count it's time to use a setup pitch. It should contrast your out pitch or 4th pitch with regards to location. It should have either a horizontal, vertical or diagonal contrast. High/in then low/out is a diagonal contrast between a setup pitch and an out pitch. First you should know what you want to throw for your out pitch then decide what to use as a setup pitch. When I pitched, I planned 3 pitches ahead. That 3 pitch sequence approach could change according to what the hitter showed me. Game situations including runners on base situations can become an important part of what your out pitch should be. Obviously, a setup/out pitch sequence can also involve a contrast in speed besides location. A setup pitch should have a purpose as the name implies. There should be no reason for the hitter to get "solid" contact on a setup pitch unless it was a mistake by the pitcher or luck by the hitter. "Waste pitch" to me implies there was no purpose to the pitch other than add to the pitch count.

Oct 26, 2019
On a 0-2 count it's time to use a setup pitch. It should contrast your out pitch or 4th pitch with regards to location. It should have either a horizontal, vertical or diagonal contrast. High/in then low/out is a diagonal contrast between a setup pitch and an out pitch. First you should know what you want to throw for your out pitch then decide what to use as a setup pitch. When I pitched, I planned 3 pitches ahead. That 3 pitch sequence approach could change according to what the hitter showed me. Game situations including runners on base situations can become an important part of what your out pitch should be. Obviously, a setup/out pitch sequence can also involve a contrast in speed besides location. A setup pitch should have a purpose as the name implies. There should be no reason for the hitter to get "solid" contact on a setup pitch unless it was a mistake by the pitcher or luck by the hitter. "Waste pitch" to me implies there was no purpose to the pitch other than add to the pitch count.
I guess I disagree - I don’t want a “waste pitch” or a “setup pitch”. Both of those terms imply I will be throwing a 4th pitch after the waste or setup. I don’t want to do that. I want them out on pitch 3.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I guess I disagree - I don’t want a “waste pitch” or a “setup pitch”. Both of those terms imply I will be throwing a 4th pitch after the waste or setup. I don’t want to do that. I want them out on pitch 3.
Wheres your 3rd pitch location going?
Is it a pitch the umpire will easily call it a strike or?

Oct 26, 2019
Wheres your 3rd pitch location going?
Is it a pitch the umpire will easily call it a strike or?
Like I said in an earlier post - all depends on the previous 2 pitches. If pitch one and 2 are fastballs that the batter was late on, pitch 3 is going inner third for a strike. If the first 2 were drops down the hitter chased, pitch 3 is going a little lower out of the zone so she can chase that. 0-2 is the worst count for a hitter to be - in 2019 D1 softball hitters batted .159 in those counts. 1-2 they batted .179 and 2-2 they batted .201. I want to keep attacking and put hitters away 0-2. Sometimes that is down with a strike and sometimes with a ball (swinging strike). Every pitch after 0-2 shifts the balance a little bit back to the batter.

Jan 28, 2017
Not disagreeing. If it’s after the 5th with an 0-2 count and no rise (worried about a HR) or change, does that limit you to the drop? Do you try to cut it a little more or your thoughts? I know the hitter will determine a lot.
Anything?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01