About the Drop

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I'm probably being lazy. Hoping to find all that knowledge in one package on one site. I think this is the site but don't know of a package.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Amanda Freed setting up a batter is about the best read have seen.
Its posted somewhere on dfp.
Or google it!

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Offhand I don't have a specific link that would directly address this but... there have been several discussions on here (DFP) that you could wade through and glean some good info from. YOCOACH just posted a couple. ;-) Also, some Pitching Instructors provide valuable insight and instruction along the way to catchers working regularly with the pitcher. We only got to work with Java a few time over the years (due to the distance) but he was fantastic for my Catcher DD as well as her twin sister that was there for pitching instruction. And btw, he was pretty fun and insightful to talk with about hitting and overall game strategy as well!

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Offhand I don't have a specific link that would directly address this but... there have been several discussions on here (DFP) that you could wade through and glean some good info from. YOCOACH just posted a couple. ;-) Also, some Pitching Instructors provide valuable insight and instruction along the way to catchers working regularly with the pitcher. We only got to work with Java a few time over the years (due to the distance) but he was fantastic for my Catcher DD as well as her twin sister that was there for pitching instruction. And btw, he was pretty fun and insightful to talk with about hitting and overall game strategy as well!
Fun and insightful sounds like a great experience 👍

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
. . . A lot by coaches with no FP experience and no true idea of how to set up a hitter for success in FP softball. But, it does go the other way too and that has to be acknowledged.

One thing I saw, even with our women's team, and all the time in the US in youth-ball is an 0-2 count and throwing a nice fat strike. "Setting up the batter" is not understood at all. I have charts I give my pitchers just for 0-2 counts to maximize the effectiveness of the forthcoming 4th, or "out" pitch: Change is speed; change of location/and eye level; change of movement. I want my youngsters out-thinking the adults here. That Cat Osterman Daytona State video is priceless. Do you know of any other brief examples?

radness

Dec 13, 2019
One thing I saw, even with our women's team, and all the time in the US in youth-ball is an 0-2 count and throwing a nice fat strike. "Setting up the batter" is not understood at all. I have charts I give my pitchers just for 0-2 counts to maximize the effectiveness of the forthcoming 4th, or "out" pitch: Change is speed; change of location/and eye level; change of movement. I want my youngsters out-thinking the adults here. That Cat Osterman Daytona State video is priceless. Do you know of any other brief examples?

Can only comment
I get in the box to HIT,
some are in the mindset be selective.
My mindset
"You cant throw it by me, pitch it!"

Ps. CRUSH riseballs! They can be strikes remember to learn to hit them too!

Nov 30, 2018
Marikina, Philippines
Can only comment
I get in the box to HIT,
some are in the mindset be selective.
My mindset
"You cant throw it by me, pitch it!"

Ps. CRUSH riseballs! They can be strikes remember to learn to hit them too!

I always tell my pitchers in critical game situations that the pressure of the moment is not on them, it is on the hitter, because their "hero" perspective, creating a potential nervous aggression. The last thing a pitcher would want is a selective hitter. But if the pitcher can utilize skill in delivering pitches with their 3 WEAPONS; change of speed, change of location/eye level, change of movement, then the advantage goes to the pitcher. Batter weaknesses can aid this imbalance, but those charts are a part, not a solution. You can pitch off of these weaknesses, magnifying the pitcher's weapons. The solution to a good hitter is not, or should infrequently be, an automatic change-up on a two-strike count. If it is, then it reflects coaching deficiencies.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2008

One of my other personal pet peeves is this whole notion of the 0-2 waste pitch. I don't want ANY pitch to be a fatty over the middle, regardless of the count. Wasting a pitch is simply stupid and a poor use of energy. A lot of hitters change their approach with a 2 strike count, sometimes changing their stance, position in the box, etc. Those things need to be observed by everyone: pitcher, catcher and coaches because that change in approach from the hitter alters what pitch(s) to throw. I have never been a fan of an 0-2 change up, for example. Usually hitters are doing all they can to protect, they don't swing as hard and are looking for contact. These things diminish a change up's effectiveness.

And before anyone says anything about how great their daughter struck out someone on an 0-2 change up, I am speaking in general teams. I'm speaking in percentages. Yes, it can work. Yes, it can get people out.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I always tell my pitchers in critical game situations that the pressure of the moment is not on them, it is on the hitter, because their "hero" perspective, creating a nervous aggression. The last thing a pitcher would want is a selective hitter. But if the pitcher can utilize skill in delivering pitches with their 3 WEAPONS; change of speed, change of location/eye level, change of movement, then the advantage goes to the pitcher. Batter weaknesses can aid this imbalance, but those charts are a part, not a solution. You can pitch off of these weaknesses, magnifying the pitcher's weapons. The solution to a good hitter is not, or should be infrequently be, an automatic change-up on a two-strike count. If it is, then it reflects coaching deficiencies.
LIKE 3-WEAPONS Excellent!