Aaron Judge's Swing Changes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
This...

0L6kZr.gif

...along with a pulling rear hip, will establish a swing path.

*Pretty sure she is pushing with her rear hip in this practice clip, but it shows a focus on swiveling around her forearm. If she maintains her scap and launches in a way that her rear hip is pulling, it will define the path in which her hands will take.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Oh people...those with their defensive shields ready at the go and their spears to attack...this is one of the reasons I didn't post here for a very long time...

This clip is NOT about what mechanics are better...it's about illustrating a MOVEMENT pattern change. I'm not promoting or demoting anything...LOOK AT THE CHANGE! In my simplest of words...he went from swing downhill to swinging uphill...don't like Rich or what he teaches? OK...fair enough...look up Donaldson...Tewks sees him...CP

CB...thank you for deleting your post...you are bigger than that...What BB and you accomplished is nothing to sneeze at...frankly, damn impressive...

The point of my post was 3 fold:

1. For almost 15 years, the "experts" have post these clips with esoteric terms and snotty posts\responses.

2. Regardless of what swing "system\philosophy" you believe\subscribe to, MOVEMENT PATTERN (this is different than SEQUENCE) is easily identified and it has NOTHING to do with pitch location

3. Look at MOVEMENT PATTERN changes NOT "hit results" when working on swing changes with your kid...this is my biggest mistake...

chrispots, this is truly it.. Once folks understand the different movement patterns they can then decide a pattern fit direction for there child.. For to many years folks argued mechanics when the reality is/was they were arguing patterns that weren't compatible..

Feb 16, 2015
South East
What is the difference between movement patterns & sequence?

Edit: Is movement pattern, simply the way the body moves to complete a certain action?

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
What is the difference between movement patterns & sequence?

Edit: Is movement pattern, simply the way the body moves to complete a certain action?

The movement pattern determines the sequence of movements.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
My $.02 is that an adjustment is only considered an adjustment if it happens after the swing is launched. If it happens before the launch it is a sequence issue. I find my DD pushes quite often on inside pitches because the rotation starts before the hands have triggered the swing instead of the launch happening then taking proper hand path to the ball.

Do you believe the 'swing is launched' with 'direction'? I do.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Gotcha. For the record, Tweskbary is a direct disciple of Rich. The mistakes Tweks made with Collaboro deviating from the pattern are well documented. His ebook, except for rear arm ER, is almost all from HI leanings. It's like one day he was posting away on HI and out of nowhere he goes dark and publishes a book...

I'm not trying to promote Rich's success without reason. For years the arguments were only philosophical, but now there is empirical evidence to support barrel turn and a rear hip focus. I think if more people jump on board, some of the teaching methods could be improved. Rich took a lot of slack over the years for all the many new and unique ways he found to try and explain the pattern in order to help specific groups of people. He literally made at least one video specifically to help my kid. Laser is another example. It didn't really help my situation, but it very much helped others. There are opportunities for improved methods. For ways to target specific deficiencies. There are gaps that could be patched, but I have seen no evidence to support changing from the underlying concepts.

For instance, I have found that the rear hip / glute dysfunction that I've discussed in great deal have a big impact on a player's ability to get into the pattern. Now as I look back, I can recall several parents/players who struggled with HI concepts were quite likely being held back by a poor glute response. FWIW when you are in the pattern, it is the glutes interacting with the rear hip that are responsible for bringing the body around. That rear leg action we all see, that is the glutes at work.

At least for softball pitching, many athletic kids who stick with it, intrinsically find the IR pattern. With hitting, it is more rare to find the pattern and then it is much more easily coached right back out (swing level, swing down to the ball, squish the bug, etc). IMO the HI pattern needs a following and a roll out like Fastpitch Foundations...

Links please .....

Feb 16, 2015
South East
The movement pattern determines the sequence of movements.

The way I am thinking about it is that the sequence would determine the movement pattern. What am I missing?

Edit: I can see how the way I am viewing it could possibly interrupt the flow of things though, the making of a mechanical looking swing.

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
The way I am thinking about it is that the sequence would determine the movement pattern. What am I missing?

Edit: I can see how the way I am viewing it could possibly interrupt the flow of things though, the making of a mechanical looking swing.

There is a sequence of movements in every pattern.. The movement pattern will determine the sequence/flow of movements.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06