Aaron Judge's Swing Changes

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Am I nuts for thinking we should be looking for what all those instructors have in common, not how they differ, to figure out what really should be taught? Seems logical that whatever they're teaching that's the same is probably good stuff to teach. The differences may be a matter of style, semantics, or one may actually be better than the others, but let's look at what they all teach (not just clips of the hitters, but what they're being taught -- and then I guess we should check to make sure they're actually doing what they're taught in live swings).

This is easier than you think...

This is why I had 32 lessons from Friday to Sunday...I'm wiped...but these are some direct quotes:

Why was our previous coach telling us to chop to the ball?
I brought the Donaldson video up about hitting the top of the ball and the hitting instructor walked me out the door
I can't video my DD's lesson
I'm not allowed to ask questions during lessons
The price is $85\hour and you pre-pay with no refunds. I don't guarantee results.

CP

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
CP, you gave 32 lessons over 3 days. At 1hr per lesson (which is what I do), that works out to over 10 hours of lessons per day. That beats my 8hrs/day for the last couple of days.

Please don’t tell me that you taught a swing in which the body behaved as a whip with the tip of the whip (i.e., the hands) launched the swing. Did you teach that? I doubt it … I don’t believe a lot of my repeat hitters would repeat if I taught the ‘tip of the whip’ was what was responsible for launching the swing.

If you do teach that the hands launch the swing, then please let me know … as I have a few follow-up questions for you.

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
Easy...

Teach yourself "The Floss" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkmMhqsJ-vk

Tap the top of your head while rubbing your belly...then rub your head while tapping your belly.

If you were to come to me for lessons...you would hear me talk about training a movement pattern...in sports, folks say "muscle memory" this is no different...

CP

I guess this is one of the ways our concepts different and maybe something that people don't get about HI. No movement patterns are taught. Yes, we talk A LOT about the rear hip, but other than coiling, we are not ever talking about a hip move...unless you ARE doing a hip move...in which case we say, stop doing that and stay coiled... Basically it's a way to setup, stay setup, and how to launch. The resulting pattern is just that, a result. Not something you do, no muscle memory required.

I see a lot of similarities in the rear hip and upper/lower leg mechanics of high level throwers, softball pitchers, and great hitters. I guess I can see where "The Floss" could be considered for a hitter's hip action, but not for OH throws and softball pitchers. This would imply very different mechanical sets resulting in very similar external movements which I think is unlikely.

To me, the similarities in these athletic movement patterns are the result of near identical under-the-hood core mechanics.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I guess this is one of the ways our concepts different and maybe something that people don't get about HI. No movement patterns are taught. Yes, we talk A LOT about the rear hip, but other than coiling, we are not ever talking about a hip move...unless you ARE doing a hip move...in which case we say, stop doing that and stay coiled... Basically it's a way to setup, stay setup, and how to launch. The resulting pattern is just that, a result. Not something you do, no muscle memory required.

I see a lot of similarities in the rear hip and upper/lower leg mechanics of high level throwers, softball pitchers, and great hitters. I guess I can see where "The Floss" could be considered for a hitter's hip action, but not for OH throws and softball pitchers. This would imply very different mechanical sets resulting in very similar external movements which I think is unlikely.

To me, the similarities in these athletic movement patterns are the result of near identical under-the-hood core mechanics.

A result of what?

Mar 23, 2011
Noblseville, IN
A result of what?

.........:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck