A Practical Approach to Learning Separation

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
After shoveling 5 feet of snow in the last 3 weeks, I have had a revelation.

See how far you can throw snow using a shovel
A) while standing on flat ground
B) while standing on a ladder

(Note: the snow-laden shovel should start in front of the body and then be swung launched laterally behind you without stepping backwards. Yes, the hands typically will be reversed i.e., for a rightie, the right hand will be on the shovel handle and will effectively be the "bottom" hand).

In scenario a) max distance is achieved when upper body-lower body separation or stretch is maximized and properly sequenced;
Scenario b) requires rotation that is upper body dominant in order not to fall off or tip over the ladder.

For those not similarly blessed with the opportunity presented by snow, use a pitchfork and a bale of hay (or comparable substitute if you're in CA, CO, or OR). A kettleball will probably work, too.

IMO, just a simple way to let young (or not so young) players experiment and intuitively discover the separation/stretch feel that is present in a high-level swing. Anybody got a live subject to verify this with (DW and DDog weren't interested in volunteering)?

Nov 12, 2013
maritimes
we are looking at 2 ' tomorrow so both practices are cancelled, may get to shovel some snow if i have somewhere else to go !

Sep 19, 2013
Texas
After shoveling 5 feet of snow in the last 3 weeks, I have had a revelation.

See how far you can throw snow using a shovel
A) while standing on flat ground
B) while standing on a ladder

(Note: the snow-laden shovel should start in front of the body and then be swung launched laterally behind you without stepping backwards. Yes, the hands typically will be reversed i.e., for a rightie, the right hand will be on the shovel handle and will effectively be the "bottom" hand).

In scenario a) max distance is achieved when upper body-lower body separation or stretch is maximized and properly sequenced;
Scenario b) requires rotation that is upper body dominant in order not to fall off or tip over the ladder.

For those not similarly blessed with the opportunity presented by snow, use a pitchfork and a bale of hay (or comparable substitute if you're in CA, CO, or OR). A kettleball will probably work, too.

IMO, just a simple way to let young (or not so young) players experiment and intuitively discover the separation/stretch feel that is present in a high-level swing. Anybody got a live subject to verify this with (DW and DDog weren't interested in volunteering)?

It is tough here in Texas! 76 degrees tomorrow!

I was curious on how yall practice. Do u rent a gym? How do you do this? Who rents to you? Is it a team rent or groups of different teams? Is it different pitching coaches?

Hang in there!

Nov 12, 2013
maritimes
we have a weekly team practice at a school gym that we have use of for free. it is up to principal to allow community groups access i think plus we have a weekly pitchers and catchers practice at a community center gym that we have to pay a nominal amount for to cover expenses. most school gyms are booked up with various groups and it can be hard to find one. non-profit groups get first priority i think. private coaches are not common here so there is not much conflict that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish